Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Midrange interpolation

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

What is the nature of the midrange interpolation, and the "crossover' frequencies between the 2 compressors?  It seems that more effective use of the plugin would occur if such information was made available.  I have yet to purchase this because of the lack of information.

-Robert

OK, I'll release this info:

Sonic Finalizer divides the whole frequency range (28-20kHz) into 32 constant Q bands.  What you specify for the low end and for the high end are actually values for the first and for the last band of all 32.  Values for intermediate bands are linearly interpolated.  This kind of treatment is pretty new, but when I began to develop this plug-in, I hoped it will work.  And in the end it actually worked at least for some people including myself.  Of course, this tool being a pretty new thing in both control and implementation needs some user learning and experience.  It can be also true that my advertisement statements may be untrue for some people, but nevertheless it is always useful to have a tool that can work effectively in some or in many situations.

Thank you for the quick response.  It sounds great, except the extreme lows are a bit "wide", which would make sense from the 32bands (octave i imagine).  It is most surely not your 'standard' multiband compressor, but it has been very useful in my demo of it so far...still deciding.  It's not for myself anyways, but my wife, and she loves it.  But she feels the ratio settings are off (as do I).  And the expansion seems a tad grainy (x:1), It maybe the threshold, or the ratio, but one of them seems to be reacting "short', that's to say it's not doing to the signal what is represented by the controls.

Perhaps further demoing will find the solution

-Robert

I've did a quick beta Sonic Finalizer v1.1a release.  I've added 'Fluffy' switch.  Maybe it is what you are thinking of.  When default Fluffy mode is disabled, it works in a more straightforward way.  I guess this 'common' mode is useful too and maybe it is exactly what you are looking for.

Ok, Im going to try that out in an hour or 2, been mixing all day.  The ears need a rest :)

thanks! only 2 other programmer's ive ever known to be this responsive and helpful, flavio antonioli (fasoft, ntrack is my main digital multitrack) and tobybear.  But you really do amaze me!  Second time ive said it so far, but I am very familiar with how hard it can be to do these plugins and still have time to respond cheerfully to customers and potential customers. it really is a great thing.. dont think ill ever get over it :)

-Robert

I love this tool.  It really kicked my Waves Multiband out of my Mastering chain.

Aleksey, have you ever thought of implementing gain reduction meters for those two bands?  For me it would be very helpful to see how hard I "push the bands".  This is important for me because I often mix the compressed mix with the original signal (thank you for that wet/dry knob).

Greetings

Klaus

As you see, Sonic Finalizer uses 32 bands and so it is not very easy to implement gain reduction meters.  Maybe I'll add them in the future, but I'm still not sure.

Ok I see the problem.  Would it be easier to implement a red activity led for each band to help adjust the threshold?

Klaus

I'm not really sure how to do it, but I think I'll try.

Perhaps if there was a "fullblown" 32band visualization of SOME sort.  Any sort of style, With the option of turning it off of course....

Visualization is a big marketing point for any plugin

-Robert

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.