Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Creating Threshold Patterns

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi.  I have just started using Soniformer and the more I get into it the more I like it.  I have a question regarding setting the pattern of the threshold.  What I have done is to load up some of my favourite tracks from commercial CD's, run them through Soniformer and take note of the spectral pattern.  Then I shape the threshold curve to tightly match that pattern.  The idea is to give me a similar overall sound to the commercial CD (in this case late 70's).  Is this an acceptable way to create a curve which will give me the sound I want?  Secondly, how should I set the ratio - At this stage I have set a straight line ratio at 1.87 to 1.  Should it vary according to frequencies, should it be a sloping line?  Ditto the Attack and Release.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Sure, it is an acceptable way to get a similar overall sound.

Ratio, Attack and Release may not be sloped.  It all depends on your taste, really.  On the other hand you may notice how certain spectrum parts 'sound' in the original track, and try to use a similar Ratio envelope (e.g. if you hear highs are overcompressed, overcompress the with Soniformer, too).

Can you explain what you mean by "Ratio, Attack and Release may not be sloped"??  As far as I can see all these parameters can have any type of curve applied to them, including a straight slope.

I meant that you may choose any slope for these parameters - you may even leave it a straight line.  I should have written "Ratio, Attack and Release do not have to be sloped".

Thank you.  I understand now, and am learning how to best use Soniformer to get a nice sound on my masters.

I was wondering your opinion on using Curve EQ before Sonformer as I am considering purchasing this as well.  If I set a curve in Curve EQ to achieve a certain sound, should I then apply the same curve in Soniformer, or should they be different curves for each?

Thank you.  Your products are very good!

Curves in CurveEQ and Soniformer can be completely different.  For example, you can use CurveEQ to 'prepare' audio for final multi-band compression by Soniformer.

Thanks for your support!

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.