Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer M/S Processing

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Many ME's say that it would be better if we will compress only mid channel.  Did you use this technic?

NiSigma: You're welcome.  I'm looking forward to you writing about your achievements with M/S processing, when you try it out!

Hi!

Sure I have immediately tested this new (for me) processing method.

I find it extremely powerful and extremely "beautiful and dangerous" for me as a beginner...

As a matter of fact, I usually work on baroque music (www.aliusmodum.com) where any strange deviance from the the pseudo-original target is generally simple to detect.

But I am sure I will use very, very soon (a day or two...) for a problem I have with a central harpsichord just a bit too low facing other string instruments and voice.

I will report you about this experiment and probably I will post two short MP3 to show the result.

Thank you again,

andrea

...andrea riderelli & aliusmodum...

la musica barocca oggi

www.aliusmodum.com

www.capitoliscompagni.it

I would not say it is better or worse to compress the Mid signal.  I would not describe it in this terms.  Compressing only the middle would just tighten it up and let the side alone.  This can be desirable, or can be used as an additional way to give a wider perceived stereo field.  If you only compress the middle and do not want to disturb the original stereo image, then you will have to insert the Voxengo MSED after the compressor, in inline mode, and up the Mid a few dBs.

Certainly it is not a matter of better or worse.

Anyway, I would say that the side usually calls for a definition-enhancing processing, to make it more prominent.  But that's just me, anyway.  I use Transmodder acting on the high frequency transients of the Side, and maybe give a subtle air enhancement to the Side, too.

The rule when you pan is that the more bass light a sound is, the more far from the center you can pan it.  So, high frequency definition for the Side of a song would be desirable, I say.

Well, I got to read an e-Book entitled 'The Hidden Compressor' and got a few things brushed up.

Here goes the reason why some people may suggest MS compression is better than typical LR: A stereo compressor, in case its two channels are not perfectly linked, ie not applying the same exact processing on both channels at the very same time, can cause some stereo image shifting.  This is explainable, because if the same gain reduction is not happening and even worse it is happening with a slight delay to each channel, then the image of the song will be kind of swirling around, it will be a real unfocused mess.

But, that does not apply to modern plug-in technology so much as with hardware models.

If one performs MS compression and the compressor channels are not perfectly linked, then the artefact will not be a soundstage imbalance but momentary widenings or narrowings of the image, which is preferable, but again imperfect.

So, as I had stated in the previous post, it is not a matter of better or worse.  If the compressor is perfectly linked, then both LR and MS techniques would sound good.

So, use MS compression for special effects or for very specific MS problem solving that may arise at some point.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First