Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Question About Preset "Settings" and best way to use

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi there,

I've finally gotten around to taking Soniformer for a test drive.

I think the concept for this plugin is one of the best that I have seen for final mix and mastering application-based multiband compression.

I found the help files and some feature descriptions to be a little more complicated than the plugin really is, so I'm happy to be finally figuring out how to REALLY make use of this plugin!

My question is this:

What settings do I need to apply to visually see how presets are set up?

For instance, The Radio Mix preset is a good starting point for trying to fix a typical modern pop mix, but when I go to Threshold, Attack/Releease, etc, I don't see any fixed splines to adjust.

Is the preset just already sonically balanced using a number of ratio/threshold/attack/release settings and the user can go from there to create there own points beyond that?  Or am I missing how to get into the actual points where this has been plotted in the presets?

Also, just from the general knowledge of how this particular compressor sounds...  Is it best to lean towards higher ratios with just a few decibels on threshold or deep threshold settings with lower ratio settings when using a lot of separate bands for a mix?

Thanks in advance!

Can't really tell you which curves you should expect.  Radio Mix simply keeps highest and lowest frequencies under control - it compresses them the most.

As for lower ratio+deeper threshold VS high ratio+upper threshold - this is what you decide.  I do not think Soniformer is any different from other compressors in this respect.  For mastering compression lower ratio and deeper thresholds are usually used as far as I know.  This creates something like automatic gain control if long attack and release values used.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.