Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Re:Commercial CD Comp Settings

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi All,

In the Soniformer manual it states "set the threshold line in a way YOU think the music should be.." or something like that.  Last night I put everything within Soniformer in neutral, turned the comp at bottom ON so I could get a spectrum, and viewed some commercially made CDs.  They ALL, for the most part, looked like a "rollercoaster" track viewed sideways.  The spectrum came up from 25Hz, made the first peak at 110Hz, sloped downward a bit to valley around 250Hz, back up slightly for a second shorter peak around 250Hz, back down to a deeper valley around 1kHz, back up to higher third peak around 2.5kHz, and rolled off smoothly after 4-5kHz.

So, is this the way I should be setting up my threshold?  I've been told about the inverted "smiley", and that the "radio edit" preset is a good start.  If this is true however, why are there so many other presets.  I'm NOT using Soniformer for anything other than POST MIX compression!

Thanks

'Radio mix' preset is indeed a good starting point.  Previously, I was not precise by stating that you should get a straight spectrum line.  In fact it should look like an inverted smiley.  I was merely saying that spectrum should not contain peaks and notches which are usually results of various room resonances (modes) present during recording or mixing.  These resonances in a final track may give hollow sound overall.  An 'ideal' track should have an soft inverted smiley - not exactly like 'Radio mix' threshold envelope, but similar.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.