Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Redunoise can't get the how to ...

Hi there,

I'm testing the Redunoise plugin for some days now but I still don't know how to properly use it.  I read all the forum posts here and - of course - the manual up and down.

I'm not that familiar with audio surroundings which does not make it easier to me ... ;-)

So what I did is I first selected a part of my sound where it is nothing in it than the pure noise which I want to get rid of.  I use the Noise Learn function to get it analyzed.

Now - from my understanding - the frequency band shown after the analysis shows exactly my noise (average).  So the Threshold Band should look like almost identical to the frequence shown there - no?

Then same to the Transition Band(?) - all because I think the frequency shown is exactly my noise.

O.k. - Reduction Band for adjusting the amount of the noise reduction - I would just raise or lower it just as this line is or - taking a look at the frequency - maybe even have it become lower from the low to the high frequencies because the frequency levels seems to be lower there.

This was MY understanding of it.

But if I take a look at the demo presets what I see there is quite different.

Why must not the Threshold Band and the Transition Band fit exactly to the frequency shown in the display?  And why does the Transition Band differ from the Threshold Band?

In the cello demo the Reduction Band does raise linear a bit from the lower to the higher frequencies, in the orchestra and gong demo this Band raises bit steeper.  What's the point here?  In the cello demo the noise frequency levels are bit lower at the high frequencies so why does the Reduction Band does raise to the higher frequencies?

Whereas the Threshold Band is bit clearer to me (besides it's created automatically and only some fine tuning might be necessary) I don't know how to use the Transition and the Reduction Band.

I read Kylens thread about "Transitions Band Semantics" and I think this a very valuable source if only there is some more basic insight than I got for now.  To me this explanation is bit too technical or - in other words - having read it I still do not know how to make a perfect Transition Band adjustment.

I know it needs some patience to go through my questions but maybe somebody could shine some light onto my mind.  Willing to learn ... ;-)

BTW - bought the Voxformer plugin yesterday and like it a lot!

Marco

Oh, I must have been blind!

The Transition Band seems to be very clear now.  Correct me if I am wrong there:

Transition Band represents kind of a smoothness value - centered around the Threshold Band.  The higher the Transition Band is placed the more smoothness is applied to the noise reduction.  Setting Transition Band to zero means there is no smoothness but a hard reduction exactly on the Threshold Band.

And this is the reason the Transition Band can be left a flat line, because usually you don't have different smoothness values at different frequencies.  But the option is left to adjust it frequency dependend.

So the only unclear issue left to me is the way to correctly adjust the Reduction Band.

Why do you raise the Reduction Band to the areas of high frequencies though the noise print clearly shows the frequency levels are rather low there?

Yes, Redunoise starts becoming an easy to use and valuable tool to me now. :-)

Marco

Marco, you've got it right in the latter post about Transition Band.

Reduction envelope should be adjusted taking significance of the spectral areas into account.  For example, if you would not like to make the sound very dull you may set reduction envelope to be lower for the higher frequencies.

Thanks for the response, Aleksey.

So Reduction Band not only is used to determine the noise filtering level but at the same time also to have influence onto the sound character in specific parts of the spectrum.

O.k., think I got all main points now.

Meanwhile I made another dozens tests to compare Redunoise against competitors and different ways to noise reduct an audio signal.  And this was reason enough to buy this plugin now. :-)

By the way - The way you care for your customers is great.

Marco

I meant that by means of the Reduction envelope (it's not 'band', by the way) you may control how much noise reduction is applied to different spectral areas.

Thank you for your feedback!

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.