Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     r8brain PRO Why is R8Brain still detecting clipping when....

Hello.

I saw on another thread that R8Brain will lower a file if it detects clipping.  I understand that no problem.  However, since I apply mild L2 limiting on my mix downs with a -.03dB output ceiling I don't understand why R8Brain is detecting clipping and lower my mixes.  Does the overall volume of a mix get raised when dithering down in R8Brain?  Should I be leaving more headroom before applying R8Brain?

I'm mixing down in Sonar 6.2.1.  I'm not adding any dither during mixdown and I'm exporting to 64-bit.

Thanks,

Eric

r8brain PRO will lower the level even if a single overshoot is detected.  Beside that make please sure you are not using normalizing option - this is different from preventing clipping.

If clipping prevention is not suiting your needs, you may simply disable it.

Beside that, as it is discussed in the user's manual, sample rate conversion creates overshoots, so you do not have to apply limiter.  It is much better if you just keep master level lower.  You may apply limiter later, after performing sample rate conversion.

Hi Aleksey,

Hi understand what you are saying.

If I apply limiting to a 16-bit file should I disable dithering on the limiting plugin?  If not do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Eric

By the way, I just purchased Elephant so if you have any suggestions regarding my previous post you may suggest them under Elephant.

Thanks,

Eric

I would not suggest you to apply limiting to a 16-bit file.  You should apply limiting and dithering only before you convert to 16-bit file.  16-bit file should always be considered a final file, with any further changes to it being a 'no-no' thing.

Aleksy,

That was my original intention.  However, I was ending up with clipping after applying R8Brain even though my source file had no clipping.  Is this because of what is stated in the manual saying the sample rate conversion process often adjusts peak structure of the original program material, thus, in many cases, making a subsequent peak-limiting a necessity?

So I should keep "prevent clipping" enabled and just accept the lower levels as a result?

Eric

Hansenhaus: So I should keep ''prevent clipping'' enabled and just accept the lower levels as a result?

Yes, that's the easiest way.  You may increase level later, when using limiter and applying dithering.

Hello again ;-)!

I have a question in connection to this topic.

I also have observed clipping after sample rate conversion using r8brain pro.

Till now I have been doing SRC after limitting - Adobe Audition for example do not introduce clipping in this case (I limited wav to -0.3dFS) but r8brain pro does.

Do you suggest in case r8brain pro aplying limitter after sample rate conversion?  For example 88.2k 32b --> 44.1 32 b --> limmiting --> dithering to 16b / noise shapping --> save as 44.1 16b?  I am asking to be sure if it is a good way in general for quality point of view only.

And asking about your opinion about audiable quality differences when limmiter is applied on 88.2k 32b file opposite 44.1k 32b file in connection with SRC after / before limmiting.

I would like to find the best way ;-)

Best Regards!

Stefano

stefano_pl: Do you suggest in case r8brain pro aplying limitter after sample rate conversion?  For example 88.2k 32b --> 44.1 32 b --> limmiting --> dithering to 16b / noise shapping --> save as 44.1 16b?  I am asking to be sure if it is a good way in general for quality point of view only.

This is a correct chain in my opinion.

stefano_pl: And asking about your opinion about audiable quality differences when limmiter is applied on 88.2k 32b file opposite 44.1k 32b file in connection with SRC after / before limmiting.

Simply use Elephant, for example - it features oversampled limiting.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.