Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     r8brain PRO Five step method to getting higher resolution DAW sound unto a CD.

My five step method of mastering based upon my listening tests (using r8Brain and Elephant 2).

I would appreciate feedback about what you may have discovered vs. my experience.

I record in Cubase/Nuendo DAW at 48k 24b.

Step:

1. Export final mix from Cubase/Nuendo at 48k 32bFP making sure there is no clipping.

2. Sample rate convert using r8Brain (from 48k to 44.1k).

3. Load into Cubase and apply equalization.  In Cubase 4 I use GEQ30 and then export as 44.1k 32bFP.  Again make sure there is no clipping.

4. Load into Cubase and apply Elephant 2 and export as 44.1 32bFP.

5. Load into Cubase and export as 44.1k 16b.  If desired add dither such as Cubase supplied Apogee UV22.

I have tried applying the exact same EQ settings I used in step 3 but earlier in the chain (step 1, ie. the initial DAW export) (GEQ30) and then applied steps 2,4 and 5 and the sound quality is not the same (not as good by a huge degree) as I have outline above in following steps one through five.  I am not sure why, but it is sonically obvious.

This method as described is to my ears (at the moment) the best way to get what I hear from my higher resolution DAW output onto a CD for general playback.  I would really like to hear from others who have tried various ways to create a really clear, crystal sounding 44.1 16b final master.

I posted this in both the r8Brain and the Elephant forums.

I would like to thank you Aleksey for your excellent sounding products.  I looked up and read about the region where you live and it looks beautiful.  It must be what inspires your work!

Why not simplify your process and take advantage of the fact you may run many effects in series within Cubase.  I'd be thinking something more like this...

Record in Cubase/Nuendo DAW at 48k 24b.

Step:

1.  Export final mix from Cubase/Nuendo at 48k 32bFP making sure there is no clipping.

2.  Sample rate convert using r8Brain (from 48k to 44.1k).

3.  Load into Cubase and apply equalization, Elephant 2 and dithering (in that order).  Trim the track in Cubase and set left and right locators to cover the entire track as you want it on CD.  Export as 44.1k 16b.

Best Regards

Fots

First of all, the difference you hear by changing steps is because digital plug-in are usually sound differently at different sample rates.

I'm with Fots about the chaining - this also allows to preserve quality (a bit, not so much since you are using 32-bit intermediate files).  Make sure r8brain PRO creates 32-bit float file.

(I've removed a similar topic in the Elephant forum).

Thanks for the feed back Aleksey and fgimian.  Reducing 2 steps is nice plus you can hear the EQ and Elephant together (vs. separate steps).
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.