Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     r8brain PRO R8brain Free - Loss of Data chunks

I was going to use this to convert a few CDs, but unfortunatly it seems that R8Brain Free throws away all data chunks from the source file.  This includes the stuff I need in the Broadcast WAV file, a chunk called 'bext'.

Is it possible for you to update R8brain Free to simply copy any chunks to the destination file ?

Thanks for a great tool in any case.  It's not the only one I use.

==EDIT==

I just checked the feature section of R8brain Pro, and it features support of those extra chunks.  Does it copy everything it finds in the source file(such as SNDM from Soundminer) or just the bext stuff ?

Tony

I do not plan to include 'bext' chunk support into r8brain free.

r8brain PRO copies known chunks only.  So, it won't copy SNDM or any other alike chunk.  There were no practical need to copy all chunks so far.

Alright.

Here are two chunk types that some folks in the post production area routinly encounter besides "bext", and I'm shure there's more.

nmix

This is the chunk of information generated by the Ripper application of Netmix ( http://www.net-mix.com ) .

SNDM

This is a chunk by the Ripper application of the Soundminer audio database.

In addition, Netmix also places an overview of the waveform in the broadcast WAV, though I don't know whether or not it gets dumped in to a new chunk or its nmix chunk.  Protools can use this pregenerated overview, so it does matter, and it significantly speeds up views of files on network drives on larger files for Netmix itself.

I'm on my way over to buy R8brain PRO.  This little episode only pushed me over the edge :) .

Please, please support keeping all chunks or at least those extra two I mentioned.  Oh and btw, no drag'n'drop for sample files ?  There's no commandline exe of R8brain Pro, is there ?

In any case, thanks for the great tools.

Take care

Tony

Since resampling changes audio data, I do not see how keeping original waveform overview is helpful.  Recalculation will be necessary.

Moreover, if some SNDM chunk data relies on sample rate or sample length, it has to be recalculated as well.  That's why I'm not trying to keep all chunks because they may become invalid after sample rate/bit depth conversion.  For example, bext's chunks sample position IS recalculated if sample rate change occurs.

You may drag and drop files into the r8brain shortcut - but not on the r8brain's file list.

Support for command-line conversion is not planned at the moment.

Aleksey Vaneev: Since resampling changes audio data, I do not see how keeping original waveform overview is helpful.  Recalculation will be necessary.

You're right of course :) .  I hadn't thought that one through.

Aleksey Vaneev: Moreover, if some SNDM chunk data relies on sample rate or sample length, it has to be recalculated as well.  That's why I'm not trying to keep all chunks because they may become invalid after sample rate/bit depth conversion.  For example, bext's chunks sample position IS recalculated if sample rate change occurs.

I'm mostly dealing with library audio, not location recordings with timecodes, so in that case the description is the most important aspect of the file.  The nmix chunks, if used in a film production may contain information on show, reel, editor, groups and a few things besides.  This hardly applies to getting library audio fit for broadcast audio editing, which is always at 48kHz right now.

The nmix and SNMD chunks can be regenerated for library audio, since you're only wanting to keep the bext chunk for descriptions and disk reference.  That's why this isn't such a tragedy.  It would be one if I was transferring huge amounts of audio from a show with all that extra info in the nmix or SNDM chunks.  It's an off chance however, so don't regard this as necessary.  I'm shure someone will scream for it if he/she realy needs it.

I'm creating tagged library audio right now.  I'm reripping the last 20 CDs, tagging them first with the bext chunk, and then converting that with R8brainPRO, mainly because the ripper of Netmix, which splits and tags the files for me, cannot deal with 24 bit audio without truncating it to 16 bit during the conversion.  So none of this is your fault in fact, it's that pesky ripper.

Aleksey Vaneev: You may drag and drop files into the r8brain shortcut - but not on the r8brain's file list.

Thank you, that's nice to have.

Aleksey Vaneev: Support for command-line conversion is not planned at the moment.

The drag'n'drop support is ok for me actualy.  I just need to have it all in one spot like one folder or at least all selectable in one go.  Usualy that is the case.  The recreation of the folder structure in the target folder is a bonus I wasn't expecting.  Thank you very, very much for that function.  It helps enormously for developing game sounds.

Please regard the drag'n'drop functionality for the list window as my only serious suggestion.  The commandline app would simply be my way of getting that functionality by using an outside app like BatchEnc by Speek, which I've used many times with R8Brain Free.  It lets you drop stuff in to its list window.

Take care and thanks for the info and corrections

Tony

Thanks for the further details.  I'll implement support for 'nmix' chunk if several other people ask for it, and if 'nmix' chunk information is freely available - i.e. it is not a proprietary thing.

I'll see if I can implement drag'n'drop to r8brain PRO's filelist itself.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.