Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Polysquasher My compliments to the chef - knee and attack/release

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I was using Polysquasher last night (re-mastering) placing it after the revolutionary Soniformer2 (hehe my hype is true!) and really got Polysqusher to sound great using mode2, ratio 1.04.

By playing around with the threshold/knee I got such a transparant sound out of the vocals if I didn't know better I'd think I was doing a mix and had the vocal track all to myself - except this was a full mix.  I ended up with the threshold around -12dB and played with the knee I guess it was about 20dB or so.  The amount of compression varied from 0dB to 0.1 dB just enough to 'follow' the vocal mid peaks and soften them a bit.

I guess I'm wondering what attack/realease Polysquasher use ?  It seems very fast and natural - I think some of this is because of the knee also.

Polysquasher has no defined attack/release value.  Due to its design both attack and release times depend on the program material and the mode used.  At least, I cannot provide any exact attack/release figure.

Hi Aleksey,

One more question on knee.  Is Knee affected by the automatic attack/release algorithm in the same way Threshold is?

I don't know if this is a good way to look at it...but if I had a block diagram of Polysquasher - would the automatic attack/realease algorithm come first followed by Knee and Threshold?

Thanks!

PS You mentioned in another thread that Polysquasher has 1024 latency - is that because of the cool visual gain window?

Knee is directly related to peak detection only, it is not automatic.  Latency is introduced to better catch peaks.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.