Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Polysquasher what is the difference between Polysquasher & SoniFormer?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

yes, can someone can explain me the different between these 2 plugins.  As I can read they are both mastering compressor, but in what step/result they differ from each other?

Regards,

Pierre

My take while Aleksey's absent:

Soniformer is a multiband compressor (32 bands I believe), the values for each band are linearly interpolated from the bass and treble bands set on the interface (which control the lowest and highest band, respectively).  This plugin will help to maintain a good spectral balance in your master, like having 32 automatic eq's working simultaneously.

Polysquasher is a single band compressor which uses an envelope follower rather than the traditional attack/release type settings.  I don't have so much experience with this one.

Thanks Andrew, this explaination is clear.

Do you know how the enveloppe in polysquasher is generated in order to bring compression to the whole signal?

Regards,

Pierre

I guess that would be a trade secret :)

This is what Aleksey wrote about the envelope follower mode in Soniformer, I don't know how similar the one used in Polysquasher is:

"Envelope follower kind of follows the envelope of the signal.  Of course, it captures the changes in the volume, so it must be close to RMS and average in this aspect.  Also, it has some inertia (like RMS and average have).

I implemented envelope follower simply due to CPU usage which is very low for it.  RMS and average will require much more CPU."

I understand Andrew, Aleksey keeps his secrets :-)

Anyway, I'm asking myself if Polysquasher is more dedicated to non professionnal users; perople who are less skilled in frequency management, compared to the 32 bands (following what you wrote) you have to deal with in SoniFormer.

Regards,

Pierre

I think they are just different tools -- Polysquasher certainly seems to be more subtle than Soniformer.

Aleksey has suggested suggested to use a chain such as CurveEQ - Soniformer - CurveEQ - Lampthruster - Polysquasher - Elephant -- in this scenario Soniformer is doing most of the dynamics work while Polysquasher adds the finishing touches.

Chaining... interesting.  First, i have to buy some of them.  Until now, i've just read a lot of things on Voxengo plugins.  Unfortunatly, I've no job right now, and just spent some money to update my main audio editeor/sequencer...  I'm broke now...

Regards,

Pierre

Thanks Andrew for helping on this topic.

Polysquasher is a single-band compressor which uses somehow 'new' compression approach, offering transparent action, with minimum pumping.

This is also a professional tool which must be handled with understanding like any other production tool.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.