Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Polysquasher Attack/Decay meters?

Last

Next

Previous

First

I am extremely tempted to purchase this plugin, since I've been playing with the demo and am really impressed so far.

One of the things, I think, that makes this plugin intimidating is how unconventional it is (which I love).  This is especially true when it comes to the absence of control over attack/release settings.

I understand that these vary depending on the 'transfer function' etc. and are therefore undefineable.  However, I'm wondering if it is possible to have an attack and a release meter.  This might give people more insight into what their tweaking is doing, and help them feel comfortable with what the compressor is doing.

I understand that the gain reduction graph on the 'front panel' gives an indication of this, but it's almost like I have to do some qualitative calculus in my head, taking the integrals of numberless curves to try and get some attack/release estimations haha.  Obviously it doesn't really work.  But I feel that since the graph exists and comes from real numbers inside the dsp, perhaps these numbers could be calculated by the plugin and displayed in real time!

Anyway, I thought the idea of the attack/release meters (with peak hold, and 'rms hold' like level meters) would be a neat idea that might ease people into the compressor a bit more.  Cheers!

Jon

I understand your confusion, but Polysquasher does not have Attack and Release parameters by design.  It has Dynamics parameters: Center Freq and Distance which control compressor's timing.

I'n not confused...at least I don't think so :P I've been assuming that when you say that there are no attack/release 'settings' it's that there are no fixed settings.  Rather, the attack/release is continuously variable depending on the program material.

I can see in the GR graph that when I change settings, the GR slopes on the graph become steeper or less steep.  Mathematically, wouldn't the integral of these slopes be the attack/release of the GR?  Attack would be the integral of the negative slope curve, and release the integral of the positive slope.

These values wouldn't be fixed numbers, but fluctuating values that could be 'metered.'

But then again, perhaps I really am confused and have made some false assumptions about what the GR graph is supposed to indicate!  I apologize if I misunderstood the plugin :)

Slope is not related to attack/release - it shifts frequency balance from lows to highs.  Of course, since lower frequency last longer, this may look like increased attack and release times.

GR graph displays gain reduction - i.e. how much compressor "squashes" the sound.

Sorry, I was being ambiguous!  I meant the slope of the line drawn on the GR graph, not the Hi Slope control in the Edit Panel.

jontornblom: Sorry, I was being ambiguous!  I meant the slope of the line drawn on the GR graph, not the Hi Slope control in the Edit Panel.

Then you are not reading the GR meter correctly - it does not tell you attack/release time exactly.  You can only tell attack/release from the steepness of the GR curve.

Aleksey Vaneev: You can only tell attack/release from the steepness of the GR curve.

Yes!  This is exactly what I mean.  I think finally we are on the same page! :)

The mathematical term for steepness is 'slope' and you can find the slope by calculating m in the equation

y=mx+b

(the b portion of this equation would probably be meaningless because your GR line automatically centers on 0)

Are you familiar with this?  In terms of the GR graph, when m is negative, it would represent the attack stage of the compressor, when m is positive, it would represent the release stage.

There are methods of calculating the instantaneous slope of a curve (like the GR graph), but I'm not sure how you would implement them in a plugin (I know nothing of computer programming).  But mathematically, it seems likely that variable attack/release measurements could be derived from the GR graph, and represented in meters.

Sorry if I am difficult to follow.  I hope this thread isn't bothersome to you :)

It's just an idea too.  If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense!

Regardless, Polysquasher sounds great, forces one to use his/her ears more (which is only a good thing), and I'm buying it when I get some extra funds :)

I understand your idea now.  Well, I do not see how this reading can be useful.  Even with most compressors you can't really be sure the parameter on the screen is showing exactly what you hear (20 ms attack setting can be 15 or 30 ms when measured precisely).

Yes, it's very true.  And really, I like the idea that I need to use my ears.  It's like "I want this to be punchier" so either I can set the attack higher, and perhaps the placebo effect might tell me I've made it punchier, or I can just tweak the settings and listen until I know it's punchier and probably get better results.

Cheers!

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First