Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Polysquasher Polysquasher vs Marquis

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Does Polysquasher have any advantages over Marquis compressor for compressing individual tracks such as either (1) a drum track, or (2) a guitar track?

I already own Marquis and wonder if I need polysquasher.  What can polyshquasher give me that marquis cannot?

Thanks.

I think Polysquasher is less suitable for individual track compression than Marquis Compressor - mainly because of added latency and lack of thorough control.  I think Polysquasher is good on full mixes.

I'm confused.  I thought Elephant was for full mixes.  What advantage is there to using polysquasher first and then Elephant last?

Elephant is a mastering limiter.  Polysquasher can apply smooth compression over the whole dynamic range while Elephant hard-compresses peaks only.

I'm confused also.  I thought Soniformer was designed for mastering compression.  Is Polysquasher for premastering as opposed to Soniformer being for mastering, or is Soniformer a "compression+other stuff" tool, or what?

Polysquasher is a single band compressor.  You may use Polysquasher and Soniformer interchangeably.  If Polysquasher sounds fine, there is no much need to deal with a more complex Soniformer.  It is a question of taste for sound as well.

I should have mentioned; I already have a license for Marquis.  To my ear, on mastering, Polysquasher and Marquis sound very similar, but Soniformer sounds a bit different.  I had been considering buying Soniformer (plus Curve EQ and Elephant), but ten I noticed that Poly is also mentioned in your "Mastering" tools category.  Can I assume Marquis and Poly are somewhat similar? (I hope my ears are right, for once).

Of course, you can use Marquis for mastering as well.  Both Marquis Compressor, Polysquasher and Soniformer were designed with care towards coloration they create.  For example, I can't suggest using Crunchessor for mastering, because it can be too non-transparent.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.