Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Pristine Space volume gate directed sound

This time I read the manual :)

I was wondering how I would go about directing the source-sound into different impulses based on the source-sound's volume.

I'm thinking; when I want to emulate a mic's or a speaker's impulse-response, or an amp's perhaps, this would sound different based on how loud the volume going through this device is.

A quiet sound doesn't distort like a loud sound does, but if I only use 1 impulse then this impulse will have the characteristics of one specific volume-setting only (the volume used during the grabbing of the impulse), and so the same amount of distortion will be applied to the incoming source-sound regardless of how loud or quiet it is.

I know I can load several impulses into PS, but as far as I can tell I cannot direct the source sound into specific slots based on it's volume (for example; all sounds lower than X db goes to slot1, sounds between X1 and X2 db goes to slot2, and sounds louder than X db goes to slot3)

Is this a feature that seems sensible/usable (I don't have enough experience with convolution reverbs to know how it would actually sound) and might be implemented in a future PS version?

Thanks

JEL

My platform: Win7 home premium x64 // I use Voxengo 32bit & 64bit VST plugs in Reaper 5.x 32bit and 64bit

What you are looking for is a bit in the realm of "dynamic convolution", but is the most simple approach to it.  Pristine Space does not offer it and won't offer it in the future.  Beside that, capturing a device at various signal levels does not necessarily produce a good representation of how device works.  In practice, non-linearity modeling is a far more complex science.

Ok.  Thanks for clarifying this :)

jacob.

My platform: Win7 home premium x64 // I use Voxengo 32bit & 64bit VST plugs in Reaper 5.x 32bit and 64bit

You are welcome!
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.