Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Pristine Space movement in reverb

Last

Next

Previous

First

Hi Alexey,long time Im trying to get some style of movement with using PS and IRs derived from impulse modeler.Sometimes I use modulation before or after PS,but results are not good for everything.I would prefere plugin which can do some combining or mixing of IRs variations of same design in IM.To explain it clearly -I think it s analogical to drum shots in samplers-if you have more than one variation of the same shot/and same velocity/,the final sound is much more natural.So far I think there exist only one plug that can do this/Nebula/,but I it seems dont accept IRs variations designed in IM.So my question is-is it possible for you to make something like that?Or maybe something special-I know you are very inventive and thats why I like most Voxengo plugins!

I know I can use more IRs and mix wet sounds in Cubase,but I dont think that is the way Nebula works.But maybe Im wrong.

I'm not sure you should be looking for some 'movement'. (real reverbs do not move much except due to some minor temperature variations, and due to performer movements).

I suggest you to generate two impulses with different 'random seeds' (in Options).  Then apply both impulses to your source signal, and then mix wet results in varying manner - using host automation, for example.

The simplest way to perform a similar task is to apply some slow chorus effect.

Aleksey,

Im using PS in creating reverb for sampled cathedral organs,threre is crucial to have some movement,if I capture IRs in church theres no 2 same becouse of temperature changes and air movement.And since I use a lot of reverb there I must be careful about phase problems and excessive coloration.Im using IRs from your IM becouse of better quality tails and becouse some naturall reverb is inside samples,but if I dont use Golden modulator before PS I get very static sound and sometimes big phase problems on some notes,but despite I use very moderate random modulation the results are still slight synthetic/maybe becouse I use very long samples and theres a lot of movement inside them/.Im using PS in FX channel,so no direct sound is afected by that random modulation/which is good/,but the more modulation I use the more I mask phase problems and colorations at expense of some unnatural artifacts.So I must try that mixing in DAW if it helps me,but Im afraid only two IRs will be insufficient and not much better than modulation.And I use very long/6-8sec/IRs so I cant use more than 2 realtime.

Still you dont have any opinion about Nebula plug?  I think its much easier way to do that thing I want.

Cheers

Karel

I understand your concern, but it almost technically impossible to create a convincing (or physically correct) 'moving' impulse reverb beside layering two or more pre-calculated impulse reverbs in varying proportion.

I'm not familiar with Nebula plug-in.

Acousticaudio Nebula is probably first plugin which can handle nonlinearities/chorusing,moving reverbs,distortions/ by means of convolution.Exactly they call it volterra kerneling.It seems very interesting if its true,but I didnt test it so far.

Thanks for the info.

kvaca: Hi Alexey,long time Im trying to get some style of movement with using PS and IRs derived from impulse modeler.Sometimes I use modulation before or after PS,but results are not good for everything.I would prefere plugin which can do some combining or mixing of IRs variations of same design in IM.To explain it clearly -I think it s analogical to drum shots in samplers-if you have more than one variation of the same shot/and same velocity/,the final sound is much more natural.So far I think there exist only one plug that can do this/Nebula/,but I it seems dont accept IRs variations designed in IM.So my question is-is it possible for you to make something like that?Or maybe something special-I know you are very inventive and thats why I like most Voxengo plugins!

kvaca: I know I can use more IRs and mix wet sounds in Cubase,but I dont think that is the way Nebula works.But maybe Im wrong.

Hi,

Nebula accepts also IRs and yes, it works in this way too.  It manages big trees of kernels (which could be simple impulse responses, not only distortion kernels) and morphes among them in real-time.

greetz to everyone,

keep running your wonderful projects aleksey!,

GiancarloDelSordo

www.acusticaudio.com

aleksey, this is a big issue especially for long verbs.

it's not your plug, but a limitation of convolution.

indeed the verb is 'static' and creates a 'ringing' and unnatural effect on long verbs like kvaca is trying to do.

my lexicon does not do this, so even though i have taken high quality impulses from the lex, and it sounds otherwise identical, but the modulating dynamics are left out so misses the very thing that makes the lex sound so good.

in the lex one of the parameters is called 'spin'.

adding a modulator before PS does not create the same effect.

i have wanted to divide an impulse into parts and insert modulation at different points, but this can not be done in PS because you can't have a modulation impulse.

as well as spin, there is the effect in both natural spaces and in the lexicon where the reverb bends a little flat over time. this combination is what is required for something like organs in cathedral effects.

to this end i have purchased another reverb to work alongside PS, 'RaySpace'. interestingly it uses techniques similar to convolution, but with a modulator in the tail (crude though it is ) i can get stunning long verbs that is second only to my hardware lex

(i own nebula3 also)

It's a tough topic to discuss.  I personally think that modulation is more of an artistic addition.  In reality when all performers are at static places any 'movement' in reverb can be hardly captured.  Convolution sounds good as long as the original source is good.  In my opinion, you won't hear any static deadness if you are processing a live playing where each note ending is different.  Of course, when processing synth tracks some 'deadness' can be heard - but only because it's synth's property in the first place.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First