Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Pristine Space Orchestral Mixing / Separate Early ref/Tail

Hi,

I heard already a couple of times of a method for orchestral mixing and positioning using convolution.

First, you need a couple of IR that are close mic'ed to the position (like percussions at the rear end of the stage, violins more centered etc).  I think, with PS and IM you can create different mic'ed positions in the same room plus a full impression of that room.

Than, you add the close mic IR to the tracks - but only the early reflections and the direct sound , so you have the room and the positions.

Than, you add a full room with the tail in the master section.

Would I do that by setting the offset accordingly or is there another way?

In Altiverb, you have knobs for direct, early ref and tail.  I have the feeling, I can accomplish the same in PS.

Can you point me in a direction?

In Pristine Space you could use Volume and Panning envelopes to accomplish that.  Altiverb possibly has envelope information stored in the impulses, and so you can adjust the balance between early reflections and tail just by using a couple of parameters.  Amount of direct signal and its panning in PS is adjusted by changing the dry setting.  However, 'direct signal' in PS cannot be panned acoustically (this requires delaying of L/R channels by a different amount of time) - on the other hand, such 'acoustical' panning creates phasing if summed to mono, or listened from an unoptimal position, so it is usually not desirable.

I am very interested to know if you managed to set it up in PS

I'm also interested in this.  I'm currently using PS but might have to consider buying Altiverb if PS won't allow me to seperate early reflections from reverb tails.

bluejay: I'm also interested in this.  I'm currently using PS but might have to consider buying Altiverb if PS won't allow me to seperate early reflections from reverb tails.

What's the problem?  You may easily adjust early reflections level by adjusting Volume envelope (in zoom mode).

Aleksey, could you please expand upon this technique?  I'm a real noob to PS (and 'verb in general).

I got the situation sorted a different way because I'm using the Samplicity sets and these include impulses that are just Early Reflections or just Reverb Tails so I can split them like that.

bluejay: Aleksey, could you please expand upon this technique?

There is nothing special in it.  All you need to do is to enable Volume envelope, and draw a curve on it, as you desire.  Zoom-in is performed with the ALT key (hold the ALT key, and drag the envelope view with the mouse).  Control points are added with a mouse double-click.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.