Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Pristine Space Strange 'crackling' or rustling sound when PSLight enabled.

System setup:

Intel P4 3.4Ghz

Ram 1Gb

On-board Audio

ASIO4ALL

------------

I'm having a problem with PristineSpaceLight and I'm not sure what's causing it.  When I have a sequencer project loaded, I usually hear nothing in the headphones at all when the sequencer is stopped (as one would hope!).  Anyway, the sequencers (either Tracktion or energyXT, happens in both) run in End-To-End mode, so the effects are still being processed and sent to audio when the sequencer is stopped.

When I added an instance of PSLight, things are fine.  When I add an Impulse Response to PSLight, I get a noticeable (but quiet) crackling sound.  If I disable PSLight, the sound goes away.  If I remove the WAV, the sound goes away.

I've tried using different impulses (mostly from noisevault, some from voxengo) and I get the same rustling sound (though the rustle noise varies depending on the WAV used).  I've also tried using different latencies.

I haven't noticed this on either another workstation (with the same Impulse Responses in PSLight) or on my laptop.  So I'm not sure what's causing it.

I wondered if it might be something to do with the Intel processor?  Hyperthreading etc?

It is possible that the cause of these crackles is Intel with hyperthreading enabled.  I'm currently working on solving this because a similar behavior was reported by another person.  BTW, can you disable hyperthreading temporarily to see how it works without it?

On the other hand, please try changing audiocard latency - it should not be very small or otherwise ANY latency configured in Pristine Space will fail to work.

Hi Aleksey,

I been doing some more testing.  It seems that Hyperthreading is already disabled in the BIOS.  I've also tried expanding the latency on the audiocard, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm certain that it's some kind of motherboard/system inteference of the graphics card and the on-board audio chip.

For instance, when I drag the sequencer gui, or a window in Photoshop, I hear noise in the headphones consistent with graphics card inteference, so I think I should probably invest in a decent PCI audio card for this machine.

Cheers,

Nick

Yes, getting a better sound card may solve this crackling.  In either case, seems to be something appeared in the latest versions of Pristine Space which in some situations causes these crackles - I will be trying to fix this.  So, hopefully this will be resolved in the future.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.