Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor CPU usage concerning closed GUI

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi!

I'm a big lover of the sound of this compressor and would like to use it many times in my project.  The CPU usage is quite high, but can be lessened by closing the GUI, which leads to a workflow problem in my host Live:

In Live one can automatically display the GUIs of all VSTs of a channel by clicking on it and closing them by clicking on another channel etc.  This way one can get rid of the permanent open/closing of Guis like in other hosts.  But with Marquis I have to open/close it again to save CPU.

Would it be possible to allow for this CPU reduction by only "switching away" the GUI of an instance of Marquis, so that just only the active GUI I'm editing is using CPU and the other open GUIs that are open but not displayed aren't consuming CPU?

This would be really nice and drive CPU usage down.

I hope I could make myself clear!

Regards, Gerhard

I do not see a way to implement this.  CPU usage is lowered only when UI is totally closed.  But when the UI is just hidden, my plug-in does not have means to 'know' about this and hence it cannot disable additional processing steps.  So, this is imposed by limitations of VST protocol.

Maybe it would be possible to disable these additional processing steps for all instances of Marquis that are not in focus/edited?

Btw, what kind of processing steps are taking place and why are they dependent on the open GUI?

Spectrum analysis and level meter updates are performed when UI is open.

I cannot detect from within the plug-in when UI of Marquis is actually hidden.  On the other hand, detecting focus is unconvenient, because this does not necessarily mean UI is not visible.  While you may need to see what's going on at the same time tweaking some other controls outside Marquis.

I suggest you to contact Live support staff.  I think they could call UI close function of the plug-in, and then UI open again.  I do not think this will make things sluggish.

Ok, I understand.  The best solution for all who want to save CPU and not close the GUI would then be an on/off switch for the spectrum/level meter!

What do you think about that?

That's a solution for *this* problem, but I do not think it is elegant, because usually you want one or two instances open at the same time while that certainly does not create problem.  What creates problem is the way Live implemented their plug-in UI handling.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.