Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Request: How about an 1176 crush mode

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

I feel it would be a good addition to an already versatile comp.  I've been able to come close to the sound of an abused 1176 with the T3-Feedback-Soft mode, but there's still something lacking.

Here's a page discussing some of the more tweaky aspects of the 1176 inner workings.  Perhaps this could give you some insight into how you could implement it in the Marquis comp.

1176 Info

How about it Aleksey, is it something that's doable?

Mark

I'm not really interested in replicating 1176 sound, because listening to UAD demos I do not like its performance (a kind of popping sound).  Indeed, 1176 gets much praise here and there, but this is not enough.

I'd suggest listening to a *real* 1176 before you decide.  Listening to plugin emulation of an 1176 to decide wether it's a contender is baseless IMNSHO.

Cheers

Mark

But that again proves that emulation will be far away from the original.  UAD's 1176 emulation is considered 'close' as far as I know.  Anyway, I was never really interested in copying successes of the past.  This is not my business.  We have UAD, URS and other developers working that way.  I may suggest contacting them about emulations.

Moreover, I've listened to real Urei 1176LN examples (KVR thread) and I was not impressed either.  This compressor reveals its 'brittle' sound on high gain reduction ratios and 'plucky' character when it compresses kicks.  I do not hear anything worth replicating in this sound (except the whole hype and history about 1176 compression).

Ahhhh, who ever did those clips had no idea about gain staging or adjusting proper attack and release times; critical to getting a good sound out of the comp.  I Agree; plucky and pinched, horrible.  A tweak of the attack and release times would make it sound significantly better.

Yes, this comp has "personality" and can made to sound bad in the hands of a unskilled user; that my friend is the best part. ;o)

An example using the Marquis comp of properly adjusted room mics first compressed and then uncompressed.

RoomMics

And within the context of the mix.

Mix

An "1176LN Silverface (revision H, one of the last made)" - KVR; is not what I would call a good example of the comp.  Silverfaces are earlier examples of the models; not later.  A good sounding example would be a 1176 Blackface Rev F w/UTC trannies on the in and out.

Rev F Pg 1

Rev F Pg 2

Rev F Pg 3

Mark

Mark, here we have that again - you are suggesting Blackface revision while others may like another revision better.  It is a neverending story with modeling.  So, I have stopped paying too much attention to the whole modeling story since it has a shaky ground.  But I do adopt elements of real devices sometimes.

Not really, it's a well known fact that the blackfaced later rev's are the best sounding examples.  Urei and Purple Audio both based their hardware reissues on that paticular revision.

I think you're closer than you think, the T3-Feedback-Soft mode is in the ballpark already.  What would be cool is if you could mimic the 1176 attack & release characteristics; and add the so called "nuke" mode where you press all the ratio buttons in.

Mark

Thanks for your thoughts on this anyway!  I'll see if I can replicate attack/release schematics of 1176 (since I'm not interested in a full-scale modeling).

Sweet, I look forward to hearing it Aleksey.

Mark

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First