Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Distressor Compression

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

Just downloaded the Demo of Marquis Compressor and it sounds really good on my Drum Bus mixes, but im wondering if there is anyone with settings that can come close to a Distressor Hardware Compressor which alot of People doing Hip Hop use.

Any one have an idea on this as this would make me wanna buy the Plugin so much more after christmas as i have a lot of projects comming up in the New Year.

Thanks in advance.

Your request is kind of weird.  Have you heard or played with a Distressor?  It's a very versatile compressor that can sound very varied on all kinds of material.  There is no "distressor" particular sound (well, you can drive the input hard and get some distortion that reminds of the Fatso).  Rather, try describing how you would like something to sound and on what material, then maybe I can help creating some presets.

- bManic

Thanks bManic.

I think what i mean is settings that give me that Gel in my drum bus , so that nothing really pops out and also so that it does'nt sound too compressed (hip hop Drums material 808 booms etc...).

Working with a lot of Bass ended sounds.

Hopefully you can help me on finding a suitable setting either using the T3 settings and Classic or Round settings?

Thanks in advance.

Finiteman: Thanks bManic.

Finiteman: I think what i mean is settings that give me that Gel in my drum bus , so that nothing really pops out and also so that it does'nt sound too compressed (hip hop Drums material 808 booms etc...).

Finiteman: Working with a lot of Bass ended sounds.

Finiteman: Hopefully you can help me on finding a suitable setting either using the T3 settings and Classic or Round settings?

Finiteman: Thanks in advance.

Sorry to butt in on the thread mate but heres what i find for "gelling" the drums in particular...

Knee around 20db

T3 mode - Forward - Clean mode - Round

attack & release ...well obviously all this depends on your tracks but start from Attack 20ms & Release 80ms and tweak from there...

try to aim for the gain reduction meter to reduce the peaks you want to by adjusting the threshold, oh and set the 3 PDR's to .10 for it to have minimal effect ( i think it's .10 anyway!)

hope that helps and remember the above are just general settings as i'd need to hear the track for the exact settings.

cheers,

Ged Leitch,

BitHead Mastering

Thanks Ged333.

Your Suggestion is helping me understand this brilliant Compressor even more.

Finiteman

Finiteman: Hi,

Finiteman: Just downloaded the Demo of Marquis Compressor and it sounds really good on my Drum Bus mixes, but im wondering if there is anyone with settings that can come close to a Distressor Hardware Compressor which alot of People doing Hip Hop use.

The question is, which Distressor setting are you trying to emulate?  There's so many options available on it that saying you want it to sound like a Distressor doesn't mean very much.

Are you looking for the classic 1176 type crunch perhaps?

Mark

Biasrocks

'The question is, which Distressor setting are you trying to emulate?  There's so many options available on it that saying you want it to sound like a Distressor doesn't mean very much.

Are you looking for the classic 1176 type crunch perhaps?'

Yes This is more what im looking for, more crunch sounding for those Wu-tang underground Hip hop sounds.

If you have any suggestions on settings or using other plugins with the Marquis compressor please let me know.

Thanks

Finiteman

Finiteman: Biasrocks

Finiteman: Are you looking for the classic 1176 type crunch perhaps?'

Finiteman: Yes This is more what im looking for, more crunch sounding for those Wu-tang underground Hip hop sounds.

Finiteman: If you have any suggestions on settings or using other plugins with the Marquis compressor please let me know.

Try medium attack settings w/a slower release, 6:1 or higher, T3-Feedback-Soft.  Adjust attack & release to get desired effect.

Longer Attack=more inital transient, Quicker release=more grit.  You may need to employ a high pass filter in the sidechain with material that has a lot of bass content.  Usually a HP @ around 100hz or so will do the trick.

I have an mp3 that I can share, email me.

Here's the settings I used

Thres: -32.1

Ratio: 6.75:1

Knee: 23.6

Detector: Classic

Attack: 40ms

Release: 847

Force: 23%

Dry: 0

C.Mode: T3, Feedbk, Soft

Makeup: On

P1,2,3: .28

As always, use your ears.

Mark

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.