Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Program-Dependent Release Contour

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

kylen: That says to me that the current PDRC graph is more like an upside down meter with its' needle pointing down.  When the curve swings to the left there is less program dependence - to the right more program dependence.  The graph does not depict time nor is it dynamic but like a static indicator type meter or guage.  Is all that correct?

Horizontally, this PDRC graph can be converted into milliseconds.  However, vertical scale is pretty vague (or hard to comprehend).  So, I guess I'll just add those 'Min' and 'Max labels and this should be fine.

Hey now we are getting somewhere!  So, could we say that each parameter has control over a different variable in some equation?

kylen: BTW on your graph idea - I understand what you're saying.  I'm just trying to confirm what we have now - sooner or later some of these discussions may end up in the user manual I hope.  Currently we have 3 unmarked param controls and a graph with no markings on it.  There's a little room for improvement on the current model I think!  I would at least mark the params: ''Stage1'', ''Stage2'', ''Stage3'' and the left side of the graph ''Minimal PDRC'' - the upper right corner ''Maximal PDRC''.  Isn't that about right Aleksey?

Aleksey Vaneev: I would not call that a 'Stage'.  Param is not a stage - just an element of the whole equation.  However, adding labels 'Min' and 'Max' is a good idea - I'll do that in the next release.

Elvenking: For example...if we find that the compressor is releasing the signal too fast for our cymabals.  We can modify the contour in order to smooth it out.  And this should help with cymbals that have a varying rate of decay?

This is applicable, but this will affect other sounds as well - not only cymbals.  I.e. you may strive to make cymbals sound best, but at the same time other sounds will be affected by PDRC as well.

Does the vertical scale in anyway reflect some level of gain reduction...or just influence over the automatically determined (program dependant) release time?

kylen: That says to me that the current PDRC graph is more like an upside down meter with its' needle pointing down.  When the curve swings to the left there is less program dependence - to the right more program dependence.  The graph does not depict time nor is it dynamic but like a static indicator type meter or guage.  Is all that correct?

Aleksey Vaneev: Horizontally, this PDRC graph can be converted into milliseconds.  However, vertical scale is pretty vague (or hard to comprehend).  So, I guess I'll just add those 'Min' and 'Max labels and this should be fine.

Elvenking: Hey now we are getting somewhere!  So, could we say that each parameter has control over a different variable in some equation?

We can say so, but it's like Y = A & B & C equation (not a pure math), where all parameters are theoretically interchangable - so you may write that as Y = B & A & C.

Ok.  I see, I was only refering to situations where you are only compressing a single instrument such as Vox, cymbals from an OH mic, or a kick.  The effects that compressors have on an entire mix is a completely different thing, I understand.

Elvenking: For example...if we find that the compressor is releasing the signal too fast for our cymabals.  We can modify the contour in order to smooth it out.  And this should help with cymbals that have a varying rate of decay?

Aleksey Vaneev: This is applicable, but this will affect other sounds as well - not only cymbals.  I.e. you may strive to make cymbals sound best, but at the same time other sounds will be affected by PDRC as well.

No, it does not affect the gain reduction itself.  It only affects release speed adjustment criteria.  It should be added that actual release is never below the Release setting, if that helps.

Elvenking: Does the vertical scale in anyway reflect some level of gain reduction...or just influence over the automatically determined (program dependant) release time?

Aleksey Vaneev: Horizontally, this PDRC graph can be converted into milliseconds.  However, vertical scale is pretty vague (or hard to comprehend).  So, I guess I'll just add those 'Min' and 'Max labels and this should be fine.

Ok...so its may be said that, A = One process, B= One Process and C= One Process. (Each being distinct and separate processes) but the combination of them is the system.  Right?

Elvenking: Hey now we are getting somewhere!  So, could we say that each parameter has control over a different variable in some equation?

Aleksey Vaneev: We can say so, but it's like Y = A & B & C equation (not a pure math), where all parameters are theoretically interchangable - so you may write that as Y = B & A & C.

Elvenking: Ok...so its may be said that, A = One process, B= One Process and C= One Process. (Each being distinct and separate processes) but the combination of them is the system.  Right?

Yes, they are.  As I've replied earlier, they are FILTERS (like in equalizer).

Awesome...AWESOME!  This all does help very very much.

Aleksey Vaneev: No, it does not affect the gain reduction itself.  It only affects release speed adjustment criteria.  It should be added that actual release is never below the Release setting, if that helps.

Elvenking: Does the vertical scale in anyway reflect some level of gain reduction...or just influence over the automatically determined (program dependant) release time?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.