Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Program-Dependent Release Contour

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

One other question.  The fact that PDRC seems to affect to overall release time, sort of invalidates the "Release" control setting.  I mean, I had release time set at 500ms, and I am sure that by using the PDRC, I was getting release times which were far longer than that.

Aleksey Vaneev: bmanic, I do not plan to implement selectable stereo-linking due to high CPU loads.

Aleksey Vaneev: Elvenking, it's not possible to 'draw' release contour - it can only go down with different slopes.  So, there's no logical way to place any control points on that screen.

Elvenking: One other question.  The fact that PDRC seems to affect to overall release time, sort of invalidates the ''Release'' control setting.  I mean, I had release time set at 500ms, and I am sure that by using the PDRC, I was getting release times which were far longer than that.

This seems normal and expected to me - I've noticed it myself on Marquis and other PDRC type dynamics processors.  PDRC kind of modulates actual release time or in some cases simply disregards it...

BTW on your graph idea - I understand what you're saying.  I'm just trying to confirm what we have now - sooner or later some of these discussions may end up in the user manual I hope.  Currently we have 3 unmarked param controls and a graph with no markings on it.  There's a little room for improvement on the current model I think!  I would at least mark the params: "Stage1", "Stage2", "Stage3" and the left side of the graph "Minimal PDRC" - the upper right corner "Maximal PDRC".  Isn't that about right Aleksey?

Indeed, my idea is just a pipe dream.

I too would love to know the meaning behind the graph.  I had just assumed that the axises were as follows.

X = Time

Y = Gain Reduction influence over actual release time

(Ok....I have now offically made a career out of this forum)

Elvenking: One other question.  The fact that PDRC seems to affect to overall release time, sort of invalidates the ''Release'' control setting.  I mean, I had release time set at 500ms, and I am sure that by using the PDRC, I was getting release times which were far longer than that.

kylen: This seems normal and expected to me - I've noticed it myself on Marquis and other PDRC type dynamics processors.  PDRC kind of modulates actual release time or in some cases simply disregards it...

kylen: BTW on your graph idea - I understand what you're saying.  I'm just trying to confirm what we have now - sooner or later some of these discussions may end up in the user manual I hope.  Currently we have 3 unmarked param controls and a graph with no markings on it.  There's a little room for improvement on the current model I think!  I would at least mark the params: ''Stage1'', ''Stage2'', ''Stage3'' and the left side of the graph ''Minimal PDRC'' - the upper right corner ''Maximal PDRC''.  Isn't that about right Aleksey?

Elvenking: I too would love to know the meaning behind the graph.  I had just assumed that the axises were as follows.

Elvenking: X = Time

Elvenking: Y = Gain Reduction influence over actual release time

I assumed the same thing for the longest time - I don't believe that is the case - beginning today!

Elvenking: With my idea, I was thinking that x-axis would be time, and y-axis would be gain reduction.  Of course during release, we are moving to 0db of gain reduction. (As the far right of the graph would always represent the end of the release time.  To me, there is no reason to vary that time anywhere else other than the ''release'' control.) So at the extreme right of the graph, we would be locked at 0-db.  The three control points would have control over slopes in the middle of the curve.  For example, if the max GR happened to be -9db, you could release the first 3db fast, then slow down for the next 3db, and finally release the last 3db fast again.  So if your overall release time was 500ms, it would take 100ms for the first stage, 300 for the second, and another 100ms for the final.  Makes sense to me in theory.  Whether its possible or not, who knows.  Just sounded like a cool idea to me.

You are trying to implement your PDRC idea here.  Since Marquis works differently there's not way to implement your idea.

My limited understanding of PDRC is that it tries to adjust release time based on the program materieal, A hand clap is can have a much faster release time than say, a cymbal.  I would assume (there I go again) that this would sort of adjust how much or little control we give the comressor to do this.

Elvenking: I too would love to know the meaning behind the graph.  I had just assumed that the axises were as follows.

Elvenking: X = Time

Elvenking: Y = Gain Reduction influence over actual release time

kylen: I assumed the same thing for the longest time - I don't believe that is the case - beginning today!

This may be correct only in average.  The actual behavior mostly depends on the audio material.  So, there WILL BE moments when the release is at 500 ms, and moments when it is longer.

No, I know Aleksey, I may have only inrtroduced more confusion.  Please note that this was just some pipe smoking idea of mine and in no way relates to the PDRC.

Elvenking: With my idea, I was thinking that x-axis would be time, and y-axis would be gain reduction.  Of course during release, we are moving to 0db of gain reduction. (As the far right of the graph would always represent the end of the release time.  To me, there is no reason to vary that time anywhere else other than the ''release'' control.) So at the extreme right of the graph, we would be locked at 0-db.  The three control points would have control over slopes in the middle of the curve.  For example, if the max GR happened to be -9db, you could release the first 3db fast, then slow down for the next 3db, and finally release the last 3db fast again.  So if your overall release time was 500ms, it would take 100ms for the first stage, 300 for the second, and another 100ms for the final.  Makes sense to me in theory.  Whether its possible or not, who knows.  Just sounded like a cool idea to me.

Aleksey Vaneev: You are trying to implement your PDRC idea here.  Since Marquis works differently there's not way to implement your idea.

kylen: BTW on your graph idea - I understand what you're saying.  I'm just trying to confirm what we have now - sooner or later some of these discussions may end up in the user manual I hope.  Currently we have 3 unmarked param controls and a graph with no markings on it.  There's a little room for improvement on the current model I think!  I would at least mark the params: ''Stage1'', ''Stage2'', ''Stage3'' and the left side of the graph ''Minimal PDRC'' - the upper right corner ''Maximal PDRC''.  Isn't that about right Aleksey?

I would not call that a 'Stage'.  Param is not a stage - just an element of the whole equation.  However, adding labels 'Min' and 'Max' is a good idea - I'll do that in the next release.

I see.  Aleksey, let me simply follow up by saying, you have done a great job with the Marquis.  It was never my intention to make it seem like I thought any diffrent.  I only wanted as much of an understanding of this feature as possible.

Am I correct in thinking that the contour adjusts how much "control" we give the automatic "program dependant" releasing of the signal to the compressor.

For example...if we find that the compressor is releasing the signal too fast for our cymabals.  We can modify the contour in order to smooth it out.  And this should help with cymbals that have a varying rate of decay?

Aleksey Vaneev: This may be correct only in average.  The actual behavior mostly depends on the audio material.  So, there WILL BE moments when the release is at 500 ms, and moments when it is longer.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.