Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     LF Max Punch Does LF-Max Reverse the Phase?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I've been trying to use this plug to blend a copy of the original kick through the LFMax with the unprocessed original and thought I was hearing phase problems.  Sure enough, I mixed down a solo LFMax track and the phase was reversed from the original and delayed by about 1ms (don't quote me on the delay value).  For the mixdown I turned the distortion gain, distortion drive, and sub gain off, kept the LF gain at 0dB, and set the filter at max (10kHz) to try to emulate the original unprocessed sound as closely as possible.  When I flip the phase on the channel and repeat the test, it is in phase with the original.

I'm on Cubase SX3, Windows XP, and run all sorts of plugins all the time.

I can certainly flip the channel phase every time I use it, but it doesn't seem like I should have to.

Thanks!

What you are seeing is not a phase reverse, but a phase-shift which is introduced by plug-in on its band-splitting stage.  LF-Max splits signal into two parts: lower and higher, separated by the Center frequency setting.  This cannot be fixed in any way, and this makes fine blending with the original 'dry' signal impossible.

Alexsey,

Cool, thanks for the reply.  So, just to clarify, does the LF Gain boost everything below the center frequency like a shelf or is the boost a bell at the Center Freq?  Let's suppose I wanted more energy at 50Hz on a kick.  What's the best way to do that with this plug?

I guess I thought that if I set the Center Freq at 100Hz then the LF Gain would boost around 100Hz and the Sub Gain would boost the synthesized subharmonics around 50Hz or something like that.  Then in addition the distortion is harmonics of 100Hz.  But maybe I have this completely wrong.

Thanks again!

LF Gain works more like a shelf.  Distortion and sub synth works with the lower extracted part of the signal.  So, at 100 Hz sub synth mostly produces energy up to 50 Hz.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.