Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     LF Max Punch Feature Request: Seperate lo-pass filters for dist and sub

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi there,

I have been using the LF Max for adding low end to DI:ed bass guitar tracks.  I do rock and some guitarbased pop, this can be different for other genres.

What I have come up with is: Normally, you want to push the cut-off of the lo-pass filter (center knob) rather high, on my tracks to about 170Hz, in order to generate some low mid that will get the fundamental heard without mixing it too loud, and to hear it on speakers with limited bass response.  I guess the explanation is that this generates harmonics to the fundamental and first harmonic.  This works pretty well.

The problem arises when you want to add some sub as well.  With the lo-pass pushed up so high the generated sub-harmonics will add all kinds of wierd intervalls (which it doesn't with a lower lo-pass setting).  Again I guess this is due to not only the fundamental being processed.

What I would like is the possibility to use different lo-pass settings for the distortion and sub generation processes.  That way getting best of both words; distorting up to 170Hz, but only generating sub harmonics below 80Hz.

I realize the drawback being that this would make the plug-in more difficult to understand, but I think it would be a nice feature.

Petter

Distortion's "Filter" does not affect sub signal.  Sub signal is affected by the 'Center' value. (however, signal that gets distorted - LF signal - also derived from the Center value).

So you basically already have best of both words.

Thanks for your fast reply!

I realize now I was not very clear, the distortion "filter" is not related to this.  What I would like is to be able to set different "center" frequencies for the distortion and sub processes.  That way I can process a larger part of the low-end with distortion and a smaller part with the sub.

Petter

Understood.  I will think about it.  Technically this isn't hard, but I have to analyze benefits of it (beside flexibility as it is).

Just a small suggestion.  If you do chose to implement this, one option is to have a ratio control setting the ratio between the two center frequencies.  If the ratio i 1:1, the plug-in works exactly like today.  If the ratio is set to 2:1, the center frequency of the sub is half that of the distortion, and follows any changes to the center frequency at this ratio.

The ratio control could even be placed on the "back" so that the main interface does not have to change.  It would be nice to have a display of the two frequencies, though (both on the back and the front).

Petter

Thanks...  I think Ratio is not the best option since it is usually associated with the compresor settings.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.