Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver Deconvolver and Multichannel IRs

I am creating 8 channel IRs of churches recording the sweep tone using 8 mics simultaneously.  How do I edit the empty space before the IR in the deconvolved files to keep the timing difference between the microphones?

Right now I'm deconvolving mono files and need to preserve each mic's perspective (both amplitude and timing) and the leading silence in the resulting IR is causing problems for that.

Dave Gauger

I think you should simply remove the equal amount of the leading silence in all files.

shofarsogood: I am creating 8 channel IRs of churches recording the sweep tone using 8 mics simultaneously.  How do I edit the empty space before the IR in the deconvolved files to keep the timing difference between the microphones?

What I've found works well is to use your DAW's auto punch-in function when you are collecting impulses.  Have the sweep on one track, starting at 2 seconds, routed out to your playback system.  Define a punch-in point at 2 seconds as well, and a punch-out at a later point - at least as long as you expect the tail to last, relative to the end of the sweep.  Roll from 0 seconds.  In this way, your recordings will start at the same point as the start of the sweep, and all your channels will show the appropriate amount of pre-delay relative to each other.  If you're concerned about latency, just advance the sweep the appropriate amount, but I haven't found this to be too much of an issue.

Whether you are making all eight channels of recording at once, or using a pair and moving the mics around, this method will give you consistent results.

Then the only editing you need to do is to clean up the end with a suitable fade out to give a graceful end to the tail.

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.