Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver Deconvolving Impulsive Test Tones

Hi.  I'm making plans to capture acoustics of some notable natural caves and temples in SE Asia.  Because of the situation, I can't be setting off pistols.  These are some huge spaces, and I'm dubious that a balloon pop will do it.  Likewise, bringing speakers for a sine sweep will be difficult.

I'm wondering if I can't use something like a big clapboard.  The issue I see is that the source is not as close to a true impulse as it is for an explosive device.  It likely has all frequencies, but not necessarily in balance.

So, my question: Can I use Deconvolver with this kind of source, to get an accurate IR?

Deconvolver may not work good with any test tones beside sine-sweeps.  You may use clapping, but it won't give you an accurate IR.

Thank you, Aleksey.  That is good to know.

Would you have any recommendations for explosive sources between a balloon pop and a gunshot?  Small firecrackers, maybe?

If you can hire a high-voltage electrical engineer you could ask them to make an electrical discharge machine (something of Nikola Tesla legacy).  I think an in-air electrical discharge is one of the best "test tones" for such tasks - it is omni-directional and you won't need to "deconvolve" it after recording.  Well, of course, it's theory - I have my doubts that such machine can be easily created for capturing big spaces.  But for smaller rooms you won't need a powerful discharge.

Gunshot and balloon pop are actually not such great sources, because their energy is concentrated in lower frequencies and the frequency response of their sound is non-linear.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.