Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver Cutting the direct sound?

Hello @ all,

I´m just wondering: doing the convolution with the preprocessor leaves me with a wonderful impulse response of the small church I´ve done the recording in.  So nice so far...

In the impulse response, there is this "peak" in the waveform at the beginning which is the direct sound, am I right? (the very first peak in the waveform) Should I cut this peak away, so that I can decide how much of the direct sound I want to have in the mix by the clean/wet-function in the reverb-plugin?  If I leave the peak where it is and put the clean/wet-knob to fully wet, I still have as much direct sound as in reality (as I had arriving at the mic from the speaker)...  Right?  Or am I thinking wrong???

Thanks for your help.  Greetz!

Jan

Yes, usually the first peak is the direct signal.  But due to early reflections it is usually a bit "smeared" in time, so you may still get quite a lot of "direct" sound.

Hi Aleksey,

thanks for your reply.  Really great tools you are creating! :o)

Ok, I did some tests and recognized, that there´s f course a difference between using the first peak of the IR (including the smear) for the direct signal and instead cutting the peak away and using die dry signal by using the dry/wet-knob.  It´s the spectral color of the direct signal travelling from the speaker to the mic which is in the IR, but not in the dry signal.

One last question: if I turn the dry/wet-knob to let´s say 50% and I do not cut the first peak away.  Then I have the dry signal from the original and the direct signal from the impulse response as well.  Wouldn´t I get any combfiltering then?

Thanks for your help, once again, great tools! :-)

Jan

JaSa: One last question: if I turn the dry/wet-knob to let´s say 50% and I do not cut the first peak away.  Then I have the dry signal from the original and the direct signal from the impulse response as well.  Wouldn´t I get any combfiltering then?

Yes, most probably you will get comb-filtering.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.