Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver unexpected behaviour

Last

Next

Previous

First

Ah, I've forgot to give more detail on mic patterns.  Mic patterns as they are implemented in IM provide volume attenuation only - no proximity or phase effects are imitated.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:

Ah, I've forgot to give more detail on mic patterns.  Mic
patterns as they are implemented in IM provide volume
attenuation only - no proximity or phase effects are imitated.
The figure-8 mics in IM definitely have the correct phase behaviour (positive at the front, negative at the back).  The bug is that the arrow points in inconsistent directions for receptors routed to left and right.  Please check this out - if you do you'll see what we're talking about here - if you want, I'll email you an imd file that demoes this issue.

Andrew, please send the file to info@voxengo.com

Recepting algorithm is uniform, so I'm not sure what's wrong there.

following up on this issue with the current version (1.9)...

using cardioid receptors placed close to an emitter in a non-reflective space, i observe the following:

1. if one receptor faces towards the emitter and the other one faces away, the receptor with the short perpendicular indicator pointing AWAY from the emitter receives the emitter pulse, while the one pointing TOWARDS the emitter receives a very faint signal. this happens regardless of which channel is which. so, that would seem to indicate that one should regard the perpendicular indicator as the BACK of the cardioid pattern.

HOWEVER.....

2. if both receptors are facing the same direction, it doesn't matter whether the perpendicular indicators point towards, or away from, the emitter. both channels receive full-strength signal, either way.

this appears to be different from the observations prior to this, in this discussion.

has something changed in the implementation of polar patterns?

should this apparent inconsistency in the behaviour of the cardioid pattern be regarded as a bug, or am i doing something strange here?

thanks!

.pltk.

Please send me both IM setups to info@voxengo.com - it is hard to reconstruct the image from words precisely.  I need to check other settings as well.

ok... i've sent four im setups and their resulting wav files (only 16-bit, and low density so they're small.... but they do show the effects i'm describing)

.pltk.

I understand this situation now.  Sure thing, the cardiod is 'inverted' (perpendicular indicator shows 'back' of the cardiod) - I've missed this inversion.  But as for your LR file, it appears full scale on both channels, simply because it is auto-normalized.

right... forgot about the auto-normalization.

all clear now, thanks!

.pltk.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First