Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     HarmoniEQ Latency

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Does this EQ have a small latency due to the upsampling?  I have noticed this in the High Quality modes of GlissEQ, Warmifier, Crunchessor and now HarmoniEQ.  Running a track to two parallel busses and inserting one of these upsampling plugins creates phasing issues.  Is it possible to set a fixed latency amount so that hosts with PDC will work with these plugs?

I also notice this behavior with AFChorus in HQ mode.

Perhaps you could just indicate how many samples of latency occur when upsampling on each product's page, so we can manually compensate with your sample delay plugin.

Brian, unfortunately, this is not possible.  Where this phasing is an issue, I suggest you to use another instance of the plug-in.  This latency can't be expressed in samples because it is of small phase adjustment nature.

Is it a fraction of a sample?  If so, then couldn't the upsampler pad it with dummy delay internally, to make the total latency an integer number?

YF, this latency is not of this nature - I guess, there should be no latency with the lower frequencies, but higher frequencies may sound phasey.  But I do not understand the problem with that unless you want to mix-in the original signal to the unprocessed one.  When you are equalizing different tracks with different spectral content this is hardly a problem.

OK, I understand.  I noticed this effect while sending my drum mix to two busses, and using Crunchessor in HQ mode on one, with the other bus dry.  Also using the EQs in HQ mode on close drum mics creates slight phasing problems with the overhead/room mics.  What would you recommend for a "dummy" HQ plugin to put on other channels to ensure they are aligned?  HarmoniEQ with all bands disabled?  I would want to use the plugin with the least CPU overhead.

Brian, I don't think there should be any significant problems with mixing in EQ'ed overhead/room mics unless you were too sticked to the original non-EQ'd sound (I may be wrong here, of course).  Any EQ adds some kind of phase coloration - oversampling (high quality) mode in all Voxengo plug-ins is usually adding such coloration.  Otherwise this would require to implement CPU-expensive linear-phase filtering, and would introduce latency.

It should be said that the current oversampling processing minimally adjusts phase of frequency below 1kHz, above this threshold phase adjustment becomes gradually stronger.  So, indeed, this usually causes problems if you want to mix in the original signal, but in practical mixing situations this is hardly a problem unless you wanted some very specific sound.  For this case I cannot offer a solution it seems.

BTW, I've decided to implement linear-phase oversampling after all.  This will be available as a global option.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.