Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ Dynamic cutting mode

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Well, I hope you'll keep thinking about it.  I think it would be an awesome feature - and one I could see getting used a lot.  When I think about it conceptually, it seems it would be like implementing a new kind of multiband compressor: one that would work with peaking filters.

If you do think of a solution and need to implement some kind of new "mode" to make it work, it would be cool if the mode could be specified at the filter level (i.e. for each filter, you could simply toggle between "boost" or "cut" modes).

I really like this plugin - there are so many cool things about it.  I was trying out the overlay feature last night and it was really great.

Yeah, it is a sad news.  Well, may be one day...

Vitaly - this seems to be more in Transmodder realm ?  Except for the nice filter choices that GlissEQ has like the dynamic shelving...putting a shelf and a peaking filter together can give you a nice resonant peak and tilt all at the same time...

Hmm, I didn't get in.  I mean, I understand what you're saying, but how it relates to the topic?

Vitaly wrote:

Hmm, I didn't get in.  I mean, I understand what you're saying,
but how it relates to the topic?
Vitaly - sorry for delay...drama in progress, I wanted to get the time to report the idea properly.  Here is my attempt to get Transmodder to simulate the requested Dynamic EQ effect on cuts:

Here's what we want to do (from your earlier post):

"As an example, lets take El.Piano's solo part we just recorded.  It sounds quite nice in the top register but a little 'boxy' (boomy) in the low one. ... we could make 300Hz/-1db cut and 'ask' GlissEQ to cut deeper but when it is necessary, only. " Here's how I'd try that in Transmodder...

Step#1. "we could make 300Hz/-1db cut"

For this requirement I set up a TA to attempt to force the TA to stay on ALL of the time using these settings; Broadband mode, Chnl 'Avg', Lvl. grp 'V.High' (for min swing of dyn filter so cut won't vary too much) in Transmodder to .  In other words anytime Transmodder hears any transients in the full freq spectrum it can react - depending on scale, time, and sense (see Note1). 'Scale' is set to 10.0, 'Time' [between transients] is set to minimum - currently 5.0ms, 'Sensitivity' is set to maximum - currently 0.8.  All these settings are the best that can be done at the present time (Transmodder version v1.1.2) to get a TA to stay 'ON' all of the time, without further Transmodder modifications.

Next assign the TA to a filter.  Set the 'Freq' to 300Hz, 'B/w' to taste, 'Range' to taste - this is the 'gain cut', 'Decay' set to maximum - currently 1000ms, if 'Decay' was allowed to be longer (like 10,000ms) then a more non-dynamic 'cut' could be made (from a release point of view only, the TA transient detection mentioned above controlls the attack side).

So all of step#1 was just a kind of game to see if I could get Transmodder to make a non-dynamic cut.  Without some modifications it always responds to transients in some way (that's what it was designed for!).  This means the 'cut' will bounce around a bit which may or may not be desirable.  What I would really do here is just get an EQ, probably GlissEQ, to do the non-dynamic 'cut' of -1dB (or whatever) then insert Transmodder to do the dynamic cuts.

Step#2 "cut deeper but when it is necessary, only"

For this requirement I would set up a TA to detect transients in the 300Hz area, and adjust the 'sensitivity' of the TA so that high power transients are cut more than low power transients. 'Mode' set to BPass, 'Chnl' set to Max, 'Lvl.  Grp' set to V.Low (for max swing of dyn filter so cut can vary greatly within the 'Range' set later). 'CnFreq' set to 300Hz, in this case I set 'Time' [between transients] to minimum possible - 5ms - so TA responds to all possible [rising] transients in the 300Hz band.  Now the maximal 'cut' is set with Filter control 'Range', -12dB for example will be the deepest cut.

Step#2b - tune TA

Now here's where I set the TA to make the deepest cut only when necessary.  In this case necessary means when the 300Hz band has too much power.  While playing the music (as always!) and watching the visual TA meter adjust 'Scale' and 'Sensitivity' so the meter fills up 100% blue (or as high % as possible) - when the meter is 100% blue the full -12dB cut (set in Filter 'Range' later) can occur.

* As 'Scale' is reduced so is the maximal cut that can be achieved within 'Range' setting of filter, also a small red bar appears briefly if the scale saturates or hits its' ceiling (doesn't saturate the audio - just the TA).

* As 'Sensitivity' is changed the TA will respond differently to varying power levels in the selected band.

* As 'Lvl Grp' is changed the difference between lower and higher power transients can be adjusted.

Step#2c - tune Filter

Associate the previous TA with a new unused filter. 'Freq' is set to 300Hz, 'B/w' is set to 1.0 octave (fine-tune to taste), 'Decay' is set to 500ms (fine-tune to taste), 'Range' is set to -12dB (so the effect is obvious at first - fine-tune to taste).

Step#2d - fine-tune when we cut and how deep

Basically just iterate thru step#2b and step#2c till the TA and Filter are responding to the dynamics of the 300Hz band the way you like, then adjust the 'Range' for the maximal poterntial cut (how deep).

Adjust the TA (when we cut) to respond to the power in the 300Hz band (CnFreq, Time, Sense) and also scale the control signal fed to the Filter to allow realized maximal or lesser cut (Lvl Grp, Scale).

[NOTE1]This may not fit the bill in all cases since currently the TA can be 'off' if it does not detect anything even in Broadband mode - for a TA to be on all of the time I need the 'sensitivity' control to force saturate (at any 'scale' settinng), for example 'sensitivity' set to 1.0 = 'force saturate').

[General Note regarding GlissEQ dynamics and Transmodder transient detection]: I don't know specifically what specific rise/hold/fall times Gliss considers dynamic, or Transmodder considers transient.  The Transmodder manual mentions that fall time (assume hold time also) is not considered in that product - you do have a TA control ('Time') that sets time between [next rising] transient detection, that would be kind of asynchronous and not take program material into account though.

This is just one way to think and work in Transmodder - corrections or additions are most welcome.  Hope some of it made sense...:) -Kyle

Hi all.

YES, I would also like such a dynamic cutting mode !

As it seems, it's not possible, so you may try this workaround :

1.) Cut the offending frequency range with the maximum needed amount and with dynamic set to 0 ( i.e. static ).

2.) Set another band to dynamically boost that very same range.  Set gain and dynamic, as needed.

At the cost of a band, this will keep louder 'unwanted' frequencies near the max cut, set in 1.),

while the reduction will be less, for lower levels of the 'unwanted frequencies.

bye, Jan

Kyle, thanks for sharing your experience.  Sounds like you know how to squeeze everything from Transmodder :) Yet, I think you would agree, it isn't the most convenient way.  Well, I don't have Transmodder anyway.

OT I came across your topic on KVR regarding room treatment but didn't have time to reply, then.  If you can't treat it well then try to set up your chair on 0.38 of the room's length, at least.

Jan, thanks for the workaround, I'll try it tomorrow.

All the best,

Vitaly.

Jan, it works!

Btw, this dynamic cutting is exactly what the sonalksis DQ-1 does and indeed, it is fantastic.  Sorry 'bout the add.

- bManic

Hmmm...the bar has been raised! :)
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.