Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ Which settings are closest to Pultec

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

I know that Gliss EQ is loosely based on the Pultec EQ.  Which Dyn setting would be the closest to the original Pultec?

Also, the original Pultec imparts a slight coloration to the sound even when the controls are set flat.  Are there settings that will simulate that as well?

No, GlissEQ is not based on Pultec in any aspect.  I have romantically called Pulteque the very first, GUI-less version of this plug-in.

You may try the following approach: Set the first band to dyn mode 0 and gain around 6 dB.  Then use another band with the dyn mode 3-5 and set its gain to around -9 dB.  Filter type, filter frequency and filter bandwidth should be the same in both filters.  This gives fantastic results, especially in the parts of the spectrum which are lifeless and lack dynamics.

Would both of the bands be set to the same frequency and bandwidth?

Yes, exactly.

Do you happen to know the bandwidth that the real Pultec uses on the low bands?  Is it shelving or peak?  And what range.

found some info here:

http://www.manleylabs.com/reviews/Studio_Sound_Stereo_Pultec_review.html

Ok Low Shelf Z2 with BW around 1.5 seems to make a nice boost with a correpsonding cut above the boost point, which I think is was the pultec does.  Sure sounds nice as well.

I have found that you should use two bands to create this 'dip' effect.  Low-shelf Z2 tuned to 1.7 times more than Pultec's frequency with a bandwidth of around 3.5.  Second band should be tuned for cut with a frequency 2.0 times more that Pultec's frequency.

At least these settings suit the definition given in that text.

Thanks I will try those settings.  I initally found a slope that matched their description with the same db readings at the various freqs they talk about.  But I couldnt get a dip or peak at all when I tried adding the cut part of it, insteadi t just cancelled each other out.

Wish there was a graphic somewhere that showed the exact shape of the dip/peak on the real thing.  I know at one point UA or Bombfactory posted some in order to show how their plugs were very close to the real thing.  But now I cant seem to find those same web pages.

What bandwidth for the cut freq, same as the boost?
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First