Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ Saturation effect

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I saw some comments about possibly adding a saturation effect to Gliss, which seems like an interesting idea.  I came across a discussion of the CraneSong Phoenix plugin over at the duc website, and came across the following comment by one of the posters over there which is talking about some features that might be of interest for adding to Gliss:

"Analog tape equalization (AES, IEC or NAB) curves boost high frequencies when recording.  The playback electronics are calibrated to roll it back off thereby reducing tape hiss.

When tape starts to saturate the boosted HF hits the ceiling first, limiting HF transients and reducing the peak to average ratio.

Push it harder and a perceptible shelving of the HF makes it sound nice and warm, further reducing the peak to average ratio.

Finally, when the low frequency saturates, the “head bump” (a peak in the LF response inherent to all analog machines) spawns the beloved phat bottom.  The LF response is also a function of tape speed and track width.  A 2” 24-track running at 30ips has a larger bump with a narrower Q, and steeper LF roll-off than a ½” two track at 15ips.  The faster speed also shifts the head bump up an octave and can be anywhere from 40-100Hz depending on the manufacturer of the machine and the condition of the heads.  This phenomenon has saved more kick and electric bass tracks than all plug-ins combined, and is profoundly missed in the digital relm.

What does all this mean?  Nothing-- it is digital!  Phoenix probably depicts a more accurate representation of tape saturation in the technical sense, but the only real questions are “Is it useful?” Yes. “Does it make some things sound better to you?” Hell yes!"

So, would maybe having this type of saturation effect added to Gliss be of interest to anyone else here?

Analogue tape sounds beautiful, but I've yet to hear a VST/DX plugin which comes close to an accurate emulation of it.  If Aleksey could provide us with such a tool I'd be delighted.

Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome.  In case you are interested, here is more info about the Cranesong Phoenix plugin, from a post by Brad Blackwood over at the Gearslutz forum:

"The geniuses on the DUC don't realize that it (Phoenix) is louder (much like HEDD) because the plugin utilizes parallel processing (much like HEDD) - the original audio is untouched and the harmonic data is added to the original signal.  With most plugs, it is a multiplication algorithm..."

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.