Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ Frequency displayed for Hi/Lo pass filters

When using the 24db/oct. hi/lo pass filters, I find the frequency stated on the frequency control-knob counterintuitive.

In most equalizers, there's a gentleman agreement to state the frequency for hi/lo pass filters as the cut-offs 3-db down point - mostly at the Q/BW setting that gives the steepest curve (relative to the number of poles in the specific filter) without ringing.

It seems that the steepest curve without ringing for GlissEQs hi/lo pass filters, is at a bandwidth of about 1.90 (as also stated in the manual).

At this bandwidth, the 12db/oct. filters stated frequency indeed matches the 3-db down point.

The 24db/oct. filters stated frequency is - however - from the 6-db down point.

So, the cut-off point I would expect when stating a 80Hz 24db/oct. hi-pass filter in most EQs, is in GlissEQ equivalent to a 24db/oct. filter at 64Hz.

I would very much appreciate an option to have the cut-off frquency stated at the 3-db down point, instead of the 6-db down point.  While this is an inconvenience only, it would make it a lot faster to use the 24db/oct. filters (for me, at least) - and give the result one would expect compared to the 12db/oct. filters.

I am by the way very pleased with GlissEQ.  Regarding the hi-pass filters, it is one of the few EQs where it is possible to change the cut-off frequency in real time without any obvoius artifacts.

Regards, Michael

The -6 dB point for -24 dB/oct (Linkwitz-Riley) filter was chosen to simplify use of GlissEQ as cross-over filter.  This won't be changed in the future.

-3 dB cutoff point convention is mainly an engineering convention, it has little to do with music.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.