Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ New GlissEQ..!

Well, you are probably not really understanding the technical complexities of limiting the frequency range of an automatable parameter.  Automation envelopes will not be scaled automatically by the host if plug-in's parameter range changes - there is no infrastructure available in VST for physical value range variation of automatable parameters.

As for the upper frequency limits in the plug-ins, it's a matter of minute choice - I do not see any "standards" for this applicable.

I do not understand why you are sticking your critique to 24000 Hz frequency - it's as high as a filter can go.  If you set it to 23999 it would not work as well for a high-pass filter.  But going above 24kHz is not possible.  I understand that high-pass filter is most "weird" in this aspect, but you can get the same weirdness when using peaking filter, for example - it can't be defined above 24kHz as well, so it has to be auto-bypassed.

I think you are asking for convenience where it is not possible.  The best choice would be hardlimiting the frequency range to 20kHz, but this won't please a lot of users.

PhilippEisele: i think it makes lots of sense, that the knobs go beyond nyquist when working at 44/48kHz.  When oversampling is used the frequency range at least doubles, the LP Cutoff frequency can be swept down from way above the hearing range and very smooth highcuts can be achieved.  Great feature imo.

Aleksey Vaneev: Freq knobs will definitely allow such range - I do not see how this is inconvenient.  As Philipp replied, this can actually be quite convenient.

Then you and Philipp were both incorrect because Filters are bypassed in this case, right?

PhilippEisele: i think it makes lots of sense, that the knobs go beyond nyquist when working at 44/48kHz.  When oversampling is used the frequency range at least doubles, the LP Cutoff frequency can be swept down from way above the hearing range and very smooth highcuts can be achieved.  Great feature imo.

Aleksey Vaneev: Freq knobs will definitely allow such range - I do not see how this is inconvenient.  As Philipp replied, this can actually be quite convenient.

Dandruff: Then you and Philipp were both incorrect because Filters are bypassed in this case, right?

No, you are not quite right.  When oversampling is in effect, the filter is not bypassed - the filter is bypassed only when its center frequency goes over physical frequency range.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here:

I was merely commenting on the LowPass-Filter response which equals a cutting of high frequencies (high cut).  I never talked about the HighPass-Filter response @ around nyquist which is a purely academic scenario imho (why would you ever do such a filtering in real life scenarios?).

Aleksey Vaneev: No, you are not quite right.  When oversampling is in effect, the filter is not bypassed - the filter is bypassed only when its center frequency goes over physical frequency range.

Ah ok.  Didn't test with oversampling enabled ...

Aleksey Vaneev: As for the default Dyn and BW settings for newly added filters, I'm thinking about copying Dyn from the first band (in the first group) of the default setup.  This will be implemented in the future.

Aleksey,

may I suggest doing this for all parameters (in all your new plugins)?  So that a new groups will always use the same parameters we set as default in the first group?  Would be dope!

Dandruff: may I suggest doing this for all parameters (in all your new plugins)?  So that a new groups will always use the same parameters we set as default in the first group?  Would be dope!

No, this is not possible.  You are seemingly persisting on this approach while you are forgetting that there is no such thing as "new group": all groups are immediately accessible.  So, each preset contains all groups defined.  If you need to have the same setting in all groups, use the "Copy to" function and then save that as the default preset.

But my default preset only has one group!?

Dandruff: But my default preset only has one group!?

I understand.  In this case I suggest you to activate the "Default stereo" routing preset, copy your first group's settings to other groups and then set your desired routing.

Hey great.  Works!  Didn't know that.  Thanks!
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.