Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ New GlissEQ..!

Aleksey,

two more requests:

1.  A button labelled with the current band number in front of the "Selected Band" label would be cool.  So we could also bypass a band in that bottom section too (without the need to go to the spectrum display to bypass is there).

2.  A mode (maybe CTRL+Rightclick) to cycle through the filters (instead of choosing them in the menus).

PhilippEisele: i think it makes lots of sense, that the knobs go beyond nyquist when working at 44/48kHz.  When oversampling is used the frequency range at least doubles, the LP Cutoff frequency can be swept down from way above the hearing range and very smooth highcuts can be achieved.  Great feature imo.

I still don't see the use with this example:

-> project at 48kHz

-> play some audio trough GlissEQ

-> set Highpass to 23900 Hz

=> FINE

-> set Highpass to 24000 Hz

=> GlissEQ not producing any sound anymore!?

-> set Highpass to 24100 Hz

=> Sound comes through unfiltered!?

No usage visible to me.  In fact to me it's bad behaviour when tweaking knobs to (or around) the 24000 Hz point.  Unexpected >24000 Hz range.

Dandruff: 1.  A button labelled with the current band number in front of the ''Selected Band'' label would be cool.  So we could also bypass a band in that bottom section too (without the need to go to the spectrum display to bypass is there).

There is no sense in numbering since you can put a band anywhere - it will only make things cluttered.  You may bypass a band by right-clicking the Filter selector.

Dandruff: 2.  A mode (maybe CTRL+Rightclick) to cycle through the filters (instead of choosing them in the menus).

This is a questionable function, because there are many filters in the menu - it will quickly become tiresome.

Dandruff: No usage visible to me.  In fact to me it's bad behaviour when tweaking knobs to (or around) the 24000 Hz point.  Unexpected >24000 Hz range.

Well, but you SEE the filter's response going off the screen informing you that the filter is no more active.  I do not see a problem.  You are trying to effect an artifical limitation which, for example, is not so apparently useful to those who work at 96kHz or higher sample rates, or with oversampling enabled.

And then there can be a problem switching between presets - if some presets were designed for higher sample rates.

Aleksey Vaneev: Well, but you SEE the filter's response going off the screen informing you that the filter is no more active.  I do not see a problem.  You are trying to effect an artifical limitation which, for example, is not so apparently useful to those who work at 96kHz or higher sample rates, or with oversampling enabled.

What do I need a non-active filter for?  As I said: It's just not wanted behaviour.  No other EQ I know behaves this way.  Why should it?  Why would someone want to disable a filter by setting it above 24kHz in this case?  Why not using the bypass feature instead?

Also why do I get no sound at all with the filter exactly at 24000 Hz?  I don't get it ...

Aleksey Vaneev: And then there can be a problem switching between presets - if some presets were designed for higher sample rates.

What have presets to do with the host's samplerate?

Aleksey Vaneev: There is no sense in numbering since you can put a band anywhere - it will only make things cluttered.  You may bypass a band by right-clicking the Filter selector.

Ahh ok, that's sufficient.

Dandruff: 2.  A mode (maybe CTRL+Rightclick) to cycle through the filters (instead of choosing them in the menus).

Aleksey Vaneev: This is a questionable function, because there are many filters in the menu - it will quickly become tiresome.

But skipping to the next/previous filter could be much faster this way.

Maybe this would be the ultimate implementation:

Mouse Foward button: Skip to next filter mode

Mouse Backward button: Skip to previous filter mode

Also why don't you left-align the context menu filter entries for better readability?

Dandruff: What do I need a non-active filter for?  As I said: It's just not wanted behaviour.  No other EQ I know behaves this way.  Why should it?  Why would someone want to disable a filter by setting it above 24kHz in this case?  Why not using the bypass feature instead?

In the case of 48000 Hz sample rate, filter set equal or above 24kHz simply does not exist, mathematically speaking - the equations become non-sensical.

Aleksey Vaneev: And then there can be a problem switching between presets - if some presets were designed for higher sample rates.

Dandruff: What have presets to do with the host's samplerate?

If the filter's frequency is limited by the current sample rate, a preset filter designed to be used at a higher sample rate will be positioned incorrectly upon preset load.

Dandruff: Maybe this would be the ultimate implementation:

Dandruff: Mouse Foward button: Skip to next filter mode

Dandruff: Mouse Backward button: Skip to previous filter mode

This maybe possible, but only if we find a cross-platform way.  Mouse buttons are usually reprogrammable and I'm not sure it's easy to use additional buttons right away in the application.  We have to check this possibility out, but still it's not quite convenient as it seems.

Dandruff: Also why don't you left-align the context menu filter entries for better readability?

I'm not sure this is true.  I think centering increases readability of separate options.  Centering works badly for usual text.

Dandruff: What do I need a non-active filter for?  As I said: It's just not wanted behaviour.  No other EQ I know behaves this way.  Why should it?  Why would someone want to disable a filter by setting it above 24kHz in this case?  Why not using the bypass feature instead?

Aleksey Vaneev: In the case of 48000 Hz sample rate, filter set equal or above 24kHz simply does not exist, mathematically speaking - the equations become non-sensical.

Yeah, so why can we set the filter to 24000 Hz and above in GlissEQ?  I still don't get it :(

Why 24000 Hz = no sound and >24000 Hz = sound with no filtering?  Why isn't 24000 Hz also giving sound without filtering?  Why would I want to get this behaviour?

-> tweaking filter from say 22k towards (and above) 24k

=> Result: Filtered sound -> Silence -> Sound unfiltered = Weird³

Expected result:Filtered sound up to 24k (or 23.9k) and then the knob stops at this frequency.  No unexpected muting of the sound of filter becoming "bypassed".

A the moment this makes manual automation more time consuming too.  I expect the upper limit on the automation envelopes too.  Too bad at the moment in my opinion.

Dandruff: What have presets to do with the host's samplerate?

Aleksey Vaneev: If the filter's frequency is limited by the current sample rate, a preset filter designed to be used at a higher sample rate will be positioned incorrectly upon preset load.

If I save a preset with the filter set to say 44000 Hz (at 96 kHz project), the filter should become bypasses when loading the preset at say a 48 kHz project.  So I don't see any reason or problem not to limit the knob range to half of the host samplerate.

Just checked the upper limit in some of your other plugins (at 48kHz):

Overtone GEQ: 21kHz

Tube Amp: 20 kHz

Crunchessor: 21 kHz

Stereo Touch: 20 kHz

Boogex:16 kHz

Tempo Delay: 20 kHz

The good thing in all those: Range limited to <24kHz.  That's how it should be.

However: Wwhy not limiting at 23.9 kHz in this case?  Why do all the plugins have a different limit?

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.