Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Free Audio Plugins Asio performance overload with SPAN

Last

Next

Previous

First

Hello,

i'm having an annoying problem with the free SPAN plug-in running in Cubase 5: when the plug-in is turned on, the asio performance gets overstressed from time to time, which leads to this crackling noise.  This happens even if i'm only playing one single instument.  The VST-Performance-Display also shows activity on the asio driver, even though i'm not playing anything at all.  When SPAN is turned off, the asio driver shows no activity, as it should be.  How can i fix this?

This is due to FFT analysis that is performed by SPAN.  You should increase audio block size to a high value - e.g.  1024 samples.

I'm getting the same issues too with Voxengo SPAN, some clicking and pops whilst in Cubase 5 with block size 4096.

This didn't happen with Cubase SX3, also I'm able to run other graphics intensive gui's such as omnispheres oscilloscope, Synth Squad etc without those issues.

As I've noted, this has nothing to do with UI.  The problem happens when configured audiocard block size is small.

Hmm, I get crackling regardless of block size, speed setting etc, soon as i close the GUI, crackles all gone.

I have also noticed the occasional issue with Sylenth1 as well causing some crackles whilst its GUI is open, so this could be more a Cubase 5 issue.

Arksun: I have also noticed the occasional issue with Sylenth1 as well causing some crackles whilst its GUI is open, so this could be more a Cubase 5 issue.

Might be so.  In the case of SPAN the problem maybe in both the UI update and spectrum analysis - because when UI is closed, SPAN does not perform the spectrum analysis.

As an additional I would say that plugins like the VERY cpu intensive D-Cam Synth Squad have a lot of heavy realtime oscillator graphics and exhibit no crackling issues whatsoever.

Could there be something in the GUI code thats not Cubase 5 friendly?

Well, I can't tell anything for sure about this problem.  You may wait for an updated SPAN - which I plan to release in a month or so.  Hopefully it will fix the problem as it will be using the same code now used in Voxformer and GlissEQ.

Fingers crossed it fixes this problem yes.  Like I say for synths like D-cam's realtime oscillator, even Omnispheres very large realtime osc display on the screen I get no spiking at all, but with the current SPAN, spikes everywhere, regardless of speed, fft size settings.

Looking forward to the update! :)

You may try the beta now: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277112
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First