Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Free Audio Plugins What does the RMS and PRMS means in Voxengo Span

Hi,

Someone recommended me Voxengo Span to analyse both the spectrum and the RMS level of my mix.  THANKS.  Your product definitely works well.

I read the help file.  However, I'm not sure I understand the 'RMS' and 'PRMS' indicators.  When I set it to 'K-12', a snapshot of my mix ends up with the 'RMS' showing about -2 plus on average and the 'PRMS' on average to be about +2.  What does this mean, really?  What average RMS was that indicating?

Here's what the readme file says about those indicators: -

"...that RMS counters show dB values: A/B, where B = A + 3 dB.  PRMS (peak RMS)counter has 50 ms averaging time." No other info that I can interprete well.

PS: Quite amateur here.  Sorry if this question is rather lame.

Regards,

- Jess

RMS is RMS power of the track so far.

PRMS is a maximal registered peak RMS power.

As for the "A/B, where B= A+3" - it is an outdated information I've forgot to remove (sorry for the confusion).

The meaning of RMS/PRMS readout depends on the meter mode you have chosen.

Aleksey Vaneev: RMS is RMS power of the track so far.

Aleksey Vaneev: PRMS is a maximal registered peak RMS power.

Aleksey Vaneev: As for the ''A/B, where B= A+3'' - it is an outdated information I've forgot to remove (sorry for the confusion).

Aleksey Vaneev: The meaning of RMS/PRMS readout depends on the meter mode you have chosen.

Thansk for responding.  I arbitrarily use the 'K-12' meter mode.

My 'RMS' shows about -2 plus on average and the 'PRMS' on average to be about +2.  What does this mean, really?  What average RMS was that indicating?

PS: Sorry, a bit amateur here.  I only know the lower the RMS level, the louder it represents.  But, find it hard to understand the readings (not just yours, but I think some other products out there uses this kinda style as well).

First of all, the higher the RMS value, the louder the song is, on average.

'RMS' readout shows K-12 RMS power accumulated from playback start or readout reset.  You may reset the readout by clicking on it.

PRMS is peak RMS power detected from playback start or readout reset.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.