Next

Previous

First

Hi guys!  I have one question...  I want to know

what Slope Settings is best for mixing...Rock Music

I'm new in that Spectrum Analyzer tool and my understanding is pooriy

Dimitar

I guess you may try 4.5 dB/oct.

Aleksey Vaneev: I guess you may try 4.5 dB/oct.

Thank you Aleksey! :)

Dimitar

I have asked you many times, and I will again.  Why won't you make SPAN (or CurveEQ) store curves for comparison?  Firstly, like in this example you could store the curve from some rock music, and then compare with you own mix while adjusting it.

This weekend I found another use for this feature.  Recording in less than ideal circumstances I used SPAN to trace noise.  For instance I found my wife's harddisk in another room to add 3 dB around 125 Hz.

Now wouldn't it have been nice to store a curve of the noise, and then while finding/eliminating the sources I would be able to make a before/after comparison?

Yes, I will pay for SPAN, if you add this feature.  TC Assimilator has it, so why doesn't CurveEQ?

I have plans to add such feature into the next CurveEQ version.  Maybe to SPAN as well, but I'm not sure at the moment.

I do not think this will help you to detect harddisk noise, but otherwise it should be helpful to some degree - mainly for spectrum slope comparisons.

I am quite sure it will help.  If I can freeze the curve in span, then start another curve to compare to the frozen one, I would be able to see changes.  Changes could be: turning off wife's computer in the other room, putting up some Auralex, directing the microphone elsewhere, putting microphone stand on cushions etc.  That way I could see what measures have any effect and what on the noise floor clearly.  Now I have to remember what the levels were.

And in fact I was surprised to see that some changes to acoutics isolation made no difference at all while others did.  So this method can even help avoid wasting money to no avail.

Hope this will be in CurveEQ that I own, but SPAN is nice too, and with several added features to SPAN I would willingly pay for this plug.  Other possibilities would be a transmitter, so that you could get kick drum, bass etc. sent to the same SPAN instance for comparison in real time or frozen.

It's better to use RMS estimate of the noise level, probably A- or B- weighted.  Spectrum analysis won't give you any precise estimate since changes can be very small (in the order of several decibells).

Hi Aleksey,

just worked with an instance of SPAN and Elephant in Wavelab and noticed a differentz behaviour of the metering when reseting.

If you switch between Bob Katz and the other Metering Modes in Elephant the paramters are shown the right way ( e.g. -10 dB in pure mode equals around +12dB in K20 ( surely depending on the individual material but as a rough guess).  If you then press RESET in Elephant, the functionality is the same as clicking between the meter panel but it also resets the metering mode to "pure" , showing the correct values again.

If you do the same in SPAN the following happens.

By pressing RESET the metering still suggests that you are in e.g.  K20 system, but shows the wrong values.  The values are the same as the ones showing up in Elephant after such an action, but they belong to the pure mode.

Otherwise, one of the best FFTS I´ve seen.  Thanks a lot !

Greetings

Holger

Thanks for the problem report.  I'll fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot !

Greetings

Holger

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First