Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Version 4.x - In Gain > 24 dB

Argh!  Nooo!

Thought I’d give the V4 a try, mainly because of its Mode Editor features.  You see, I’m one of those who is “breaking principles” by using Elephant not only as a mastering/bus limiter, but also as a track compressor; on guitars, bass and (my favorite) vocals.  Many would ask why I do that, and my answer is because I want to and the plug lets me.  I don’t care what the tool is designed to do, only what it can do (to almost quote a famous movie line).

Anyway: Downloaded and installed ...

One thing that really made me sad was that the V4’s In Gain upper limit value had been cut down to 24dB.  On all my (earlier) projects I often use greater In Gain values.

What is the developers suggestion I do (if we look at it for backward compatibility reasons)?  Stick with V3, or upgrade to V4 and “remix” every time I need to open an older project?

I face a similar question every time a Voxengo plug-in is modified so as to have different range values associated with existing controls, as the DAW I use, Pyramix, only saves the graphical degree of rotation for each knob, as opposed to its absolute value.  As a workaround, I have saved several copies of the .dll files (the actual VST plug-in), one for each version that implemented such a change, stored in a "VST Plugins Unused" folder in my Program Files folder.  Couple this with some careful note keeping as to which version is/was used with each project - as well as saving settings as pre-sets (which load properly in Pyramix), and I can quickly swap out the currently used version with a former one (not while Pyramix is running, however), so provided that not many more gain value changes are going to be implemented in future upgrades, I'm fairly happy.

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

Valle: One thing that really made me sad was that the V4’s In Gain upper limit value had been cut down to 24dB.  On all my (earlier) projects I often use greater In Gain values.

Valle: What is the developers suggestion I do (if we look at it for backward compatibility reasons)?  Stick with V3, or upgrade to V4 and “remix” every time I need to open an older project?

Sorry for the inconvenience, that's obviously a mistake on our side which can't be easily fixed now.  Indeed, you'll probably need to replace the DLL if you want to retain full compatibility in respect to the gain range.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.