Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Elephant DC Filters?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Newbie here...looking for help with DC Filters.

I love the sounds I'm getting from Elephant but I would like to understand

applications for DC filters and any guidelines anyone may have.

The manual says little on how to effectively use the DC filters.

Do you need to run some type of Spectral Analyzer to see what DC Hz

might benefit a recording?

Someone please enlighten an obvious DC illiterate...

Thanks B.

DC filtering is technically useful to apply below 20 Hz.  This removes unnecessary low-frequency oscillation and in some cases allows to achieve higher signal levels.  DC filtering in some situations can also reduce distortion on the end-user playback system (esp. when the listener is cranking up the volume).

Do not forget that human generally can't hear anything below 20 Hz and so various weird things may happen in that region due to lack of control.

If you are not using subwoofers which can reproduce frequencies below 50 Hz during mixing it may be useful to remove low-frequencies below 40 Hz, because you do not have control over these lower frequencies.  Otherwise when playing back your recording on sub-woofer-powered audio system, something may go out of order.

I noticed there are many choices in the drop menu for DC filter Hz choices.

Is this a "shelf" number and works as a filter to remove anything below that number or is it a target Hz to remove that frequency only?

What is a good practice or starting point for DC filtering.

Thanks Again....B.

It is a center frequency, everything below it is removed.  I.e.  DC filter = High-pass filter.

Bessel type tuned to 10 Hz is a pretty good choice in my opinion.

Thanks for the "DC Filters for Dummies" explanation....

You've got a great product and I appreciate the input.

Thanks B.

You are welcome!

I'm glad I saw this post, it cleared up 'the DC thing' for me too.

And thanks for a great plugin Aleksey!

Mauri.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.