Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Oversampling

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Using Elephants in EL3 mode and 4 times oversampling with max peak reduction of 4.5dB on a final master, I'm getting peaks of up to +0.7 dBFS when monitoring with RME's oversampling Digicheck meter.  I'm wondering if this indicates that Elephant might benefit from even higher oversampling?

Ah, I think something a bit more odd is happening.  If I monitor from within SONAR, the oversampling meters do not peak above 0dBFS, but if I export the file from SONAR, and replay in Foobar (which I believe should be transparent) I do get these peaks.  But also, in the bounced down wav, I'm getting a lot more low frequency energy than when monitoring from within SONAR, as if the high-pass filters are not working (properly) during export.  I don't think I'm doing anything wrong here, so it smells like a bug in Elephant or SONAR.

Or could this be an expected side-effect of bouncing down to 16bit (using SONAR's POWr dither)?

It can be a side-effect of POWr dither I think.  To date, I do not know of any serious problems with Elephant and its oversampling - it should catch intersample overshoots pretty well.

And the low frequency energy? - I'm seeing many decibels of difference in the sub 0-25Hz band between bounced and realtime.

I've tested this properly now, using noise files and bouncing to 24 bit, and there is a substantial difference in the low frequency cut when bouncing compared to realtime monitoring.  Something weird is going on, for sure.

Do you use 'DC Filter' option?

Another question: could you check this out in a brand new project?

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:

Do you use 'DC Filter' option?
Yes, that's what I'm refering to.  The cut introduced by using the DC filter during realtime monitoring is greater than when the file is bounced (whether to 16 or 24 bit) - this is using RME's Digicheck spectral analyser.

Another question: could you check this out in a brand new
project?
I recognised this from the bounces of five different projects which I "completed" simultaneously (I was suprised by the amount of sub 25Hz energy in each of them), and then I created a new project with a noise wav to test this more.  I haven't tested enough to be sure, but it's as if the bounced file has a moderate low frequency cut, but the amount of cut is the same whatever the frequency (or mode) of the DC filter in Elephant.

Email if you need more details etc..

An update: it would appear that RME's Digicheck (which I've been using for the analysis) is at fault here, not Elephant.  I get different spectral levels shown depending on whether I'm using WDM or ASIO drivers!

You could use something like Silverspike TapeIt or Tobybear's ChannelGrabber to record the realtime signal, to ensure that the realtime monitoring output is identical to the rendered one.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First