Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Elephant VS. Waves Platinum Bundle

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I am new to the music production world.  Judging from everyone I've spoken to that knows anything about music the Waves Platinum Bundle is the best mastering software there is, second only to the Waves Diamond Bundle.  My question is, is the Voxengo Mastering Suite the same thing as one of the Waves Bundles and if it is which one is better?

Well, neither is better than the other.  They are just different.

Just to clarify, the Waves Platinum Bundle is a huge collection of plugins, some of which are also present in the Diamond Bundle.  Of those plugins, the ones that would be useful for mastering are the C4 Multiband Compressor, the Q10 Parametric EQ, the L2 or L3 Limiters, and maybe some others, but not all of them are for mastering.

When mastering, you usually set up a chain of plugins such as:

(Multiband) Compressor -> EQ -> Limiter

The Waves C4 Compressor is pretty good, IMO.  On the other hand, Voxengo offers the Soniformer, which is also very good.  I couldn't say which is better (I have neither), but I would prefer the C4 since it's IMO easier to use and makes more sense to me.  However, I've stopped using multiband compression.

I use a single-band compressor when mastering, but only for some slight peak reduction.  I think that any decent compressor would do a good job at this (I use Voxengo Crunchessor).

For EQ, I think CurveEQ is one of the best mastering EQ's out there (if not the best).  I always had problems with the Waves EQ's, but I also tried the PSP Master-Q and preferred the Voxengo one.

As for limiters, I've also used the Waves L1 and L2.  I didn't like them much and used to use the DSP-FX Optimizer, which IMO was a lot better.  Then I purchased Voxengo's Elephant and I've been very happy with it.  I also have the db-audioware limiters, but they can't be pushed as hard as Elephant without coloring the sound.

IMO, Voxengo plugs are at least as good as the Waves ones, but you have to try both to see which ones you prefer.  The Waves bundles have the advantage of being a very complete set of effects (not only for mastering), while Voxengo has the advantage of the price.

Thanks.  For a long time I thought Waves was the only thing out there for mastering until somone told me about Voxengo Elephant on a forum.  I just didn't know how Elephant compared to the revered Waves.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.