Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Elephant for Orchestral?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Just bought the "real deal" earlier today (after trying out the Demo for a couple of days).

Perhaps it's sheer laziness on my part, but after I've labored over a "classical" piece (like this one -- pre-Elephant: http://kevintweedy.net/G/Toccata%20for%20Orchestra.mp3 ) I am worn out and not in the mood to go do the 3 or 4 dozen tiny little adjustments to get rid of those last 6 clips.

HOWEVER, my first "full" application of Elephant was on this version of the piece -- here: http://kevintweedy.net/G/Toccata%20for%20Orchestra_PREVIEW_3.mp3 -- using the "High Gain +3.0 dB" preset.  There seems to be some sort of "artifacting" or distortion going on (particular with the solo piano that opens the piece). [BOTH MP3 files are 192K, so don't try to hear if you've got dial-up.]

ARE THERE recommendations for which preset to use for general "orchestral" things?

thanks, in advance ...  KevinKauai

For orchestral peak limiting I suggest you to use at least 'EL Two' preset.

Or better, set the Speed additionally to 'Min'.

Also stay tuned for an upcoming Elephant update and its new EL-3 mode which should be especially useful for slight peak limiting like the one necessary in orchestral recordings.

Thanks, Aleksey! (And a special thanks for responding in under 3 hours!  You definitely get the prize for independent vendor responsiveness!)

About 3 nanoseconds after I hit the "Post" button I decided to try the "Default" preset, figuring that would be as vanilla as it gets.  Sure enough, all artifacts and distortion were gone!

Then, in discussing it online with a friend (who uses the much more expen$ive Waves L1) he suggested dropping the "Out" level to -1.0 or -1.5.  I did another render at -1.5 and it's totally gorgeous and acceptable beyond words!

I'll try the "EL Two" preset soon and look forward to the update for "EL3".

Thanks, again ...  KevinKauai ;)

You are welcome!  Glad this helped...  I must admit, the older modes and presets (High Gain included) are a little outdated, sound quality-wise.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.