Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Any news on the EL-3 mode?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

I'll be having a project that I need to "pre-master" and am looking very much forward to the new EL-3 mode.  I have a feeling it might be the ultimate mode for this relatively aggressive, bass heavy material that I have.

Cheers!

bManic

I've uploaded a beta version 2.3b of Elephant.

It features EL-3 mode, which uses two existing controls:

Shape.  The lower the shape, the 'rounder' the limiting transfer function and thus more 'crispy' the sound is.

RShape.  This is the manual 'release shape' control.  Turning it up may reduce excess distortion, but may also decrease the maximum gain achieved.

Awesome, I'll try it out today!  Cheers!

The new EL-3 mode is very nice indeed.  I love the control you can achieve with the shape and Rshape.  Especially the rshape knob gives a lot of control to how the limiting behaves and at high rshape values it seems to favour the center, mono, signals which is a very nice detail.

The new mode has given me even more transparency and punch than the EL-2 mode and it seems to behave better with deep bass also.  Elephant was already the best I've heard but now it's simply stunning.  I have not heard the UAD precision limiter yet but now I'm in no hurry to do so.  The only limiter that seems to be a rival is the one built into Izotope's Ozone.  It treats the initial transients very well without 'smoothing' them but right after that transient it gets pumpy and hard to control.  What's the secret behind the new el-3 mode? :)

Cheers!

bManic

I've got a strange bug but it might not be Elephant related..  I get overshoots even at -1dB on the output knob.  Shouldn't EL-3 mode be 'overshoot proof' ?

It should be 'overshoot proof'.  If you are sure this happens in EL-3 mode (but not in EL-2) let me know.

I'm using Elephant 2.1 mostly with EL-2 mode with 4x oversampling.  Should I update to 2.2, 2.3b or wait for the 2.3 update?  Are there differences soundwise?  Is the 2.3 version around the corner or coming later?

You may install that beta version - this should not change anything, while you'll have an option to check out that new EL-3 mode.

Ok I've done some testing and couldn't get the EL-3 mode to overshoot at all so I must have had something weirdly set in the host (fl studio).  I'll keep checking but I think it was user error :)

Cheers!

bManic

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.