Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Settings for lowest possible harmonic distortion?

Aleksey,

I've been working with Elephant for six or seven months now, mostly with classical music, where my goal is to have level control, without introducing undue distortion.  I realize that it is sometimes desirable to have the introduction of some distortion components when the goal is "Saturation" or "Warmth", but with classical piano or voice, I really prefer to keep any harmonic distortion to an absolute minimum.

With Elephant inserted on my main output mixer bus, the settings I've found that are closest to what I'm after are:

Algorithm: El.  Uni

Trans: Classic

El.  Dyn.: Off

Channel Link: 100%

Knee: 0 to 75, depending on whether I insert Polysquasher ahead of Elephant

Trans Time: 10

Trans Shape: 0.5

"Release Time" is not activated.

DC Filter is active: 24 soft at 10 Hz.

When I use Polysquasher ahead of Elephant (as a sort of fine tuned "Knee"), my settings are:

Ratio: 2/1

Function: Type 2

Gain Av.: Type A

Knee: 30

Dry Mix: 50%

Look Ahead: 6.8

Dyn.  Cen.  Freq.: 10.0

Freq.  Distance: 1.60

Channel Link: 100%

Grp.  Ave.  Mix: 50.1

High Slope: 2.00

I usually adjust the gains of everything so that both plug-ins are reducing peaks by about 1 to 2 dB (on average) with the odd loud accent getting reduced more - sometimes as much as 5 dB, but these are fairly infrequent.  Basically, I'm trying to get my levels up while still preserving a good amount of dynamic range, and to not have to lower the level of everything because of one or two loud accents during the course of a twenty minute piece.

1.  Can you tell me whether there are any settings I should modify, in order to attain my goal of having an absolute minimum of harmonic distortion introduced by the compression/limiting of these plug-ins?

2.  Are there other Voxengo plug-ins which would provide any lower distortion?

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

Elephant offers the lowest distortion possible.  Compressors are usually more "colorful".

Trans Time and Release parameters control the amount of distortion the most.

Are you suggesting that using more of a Knee in Elephant would produce less distortion than my current practice of using Polysquasher ahead of it in the chain?

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

fbl: Are you suggesting that using more of a Knee in Elephant would produce less distortion than my current practice of using Polysquasher ahead of it in the chain?

I'm just saying that Elephant offers cleanest means of gain reduction, but not the most flexible ones in comparison to what compressors offer.

Polysquasher may offer sound shaping function not attainable with Elephant alone.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.