Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Distortion on Masters

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Elephant Users,

I limit my masters with Elephant with a max RMS gain reduction of about 0.35 .  This reading however, jumps arouond quite a bit - I know you can reset it to zero by double clicking on it, but sometimes it's higher and sometimes lower (at he same place on a track ???) - Is this correct ??

The problem I have is that my Masters are limited to -0.01 db (so just before clipping) and even on a low max RMS gain reduction of about 0.15 - I can hear slight distortion when my tracks are played on certain systems - one example is when played through a Sony Diskman (with the normal eq settings) it distorts to death when the main vol on the Diskman is turned up all the way

So my Question is: Why ?  And how do I prevent it ?

Thanks Alot

It is by no means suggested to mix to 0 dBFS level.  The most safe level is -0.3 dBFS.  This number was selected because of limitations of some digital-to-analog converters which can give amplitude overshoots above 0 dBFS level thus creating distortion.

I also suggest you to use HQ version of Elephant.

If you play the track from exactly the same place as before the max RMS gain reduction should not change.

Aleksey,

Thanks, I've re-limited the track @ -0.3 dBFS - I used AIGC with a max RMS gain reduction of about 0.20

Unfortunatlely, there is still some distortion.

I am using the HQ version with a fast attack, in gain about 7 out about 3

Any other advice

Thanks

Please, try to lower the peak level until you hear no distortion (try -0.5, -0.7).  I doubt this is a problem of Elephant itself, but you can try other limiters if you have any.

Is Sony Diskman a CD player?

Guy, I suggest lowering your In Gain until the distortion goes away, or try another R shape setting.  If you can't hear the distortion on your monitoring system but only on other systems then maybe nothings wrong with your master.  Every diskman I know (it's a portable CD player, Aleksey) does distort at full volume.  Hope this helped! )BTW I do master to -0.1dB, never a problem...yet...)
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.