Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Setting Shape and RShape ??

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Hi Forum,

Everyone has had a chance to get used to the Shape and RShape knobs by now I think.

Can you folks please give me a few clues to setting these up for a rock music mix ?  I'm looking for a more systematic way of doing it besides spinning the knobs till I hear something - I don't know what to do !

The manual mentions setting Shape first and leaving RShape alone till Shape is set right.  OK how do I tell when Shape is set right - or to it's optimal position ?

I've tried pink noise, spectrum analyzers, etc. to see what the knobs do.  Maybe I should run a solo kick & bass thru it to balance the low end shape - then run some mids only - I don't know, I'm just stuck and need a hint or 2.

Can some one throw me a bone please ! :)

Thank you,

kylen

Hi klyen

I was hoping that someone would respond to your question by now, because I have the same questions about Shape and RShape.

I can certainly hear differences with RShape, but Shape is a little too subtle for just my ear.  My ear-brain matrix could use a little more info.

You suppose everyone is as in the dark as we are?

Take care.

John

BTW, the posts regarding CurveEQ and rebalancing a mix were very helpful.  I think CurveEQ could become my next best friend, as Aleksey probably intended...

I must admit, these two controls are pretty 'hidden' by their nature.  Only experience helps with these.  Both these controls adjust the attack and the release curves of the peak limiting algorithm.  The lower the Shape value, the steeper the attack curve, RShape is reversed - the more the RShape value the less steeper the release.

Generally, Shape and RShape's effect can be obviously heard only in the standard (non-AIGC) mode.  AIGC mode in fact, lowers the necessity to tune Shape and RShape greatly.  I even have an idea that using AIGC mode you can skip tuning these controls if you don't hear anything specific.

Thanks Aleksey, that helps.

Oh OK, I use AIGC or AIGC2 usually - that's why I was twisting those little devils and not getting much out of it.  I do hear some change but I can't say if it's much better or much worse.

I was thinking back when Robert or somebody was having the bass distortion discussion back before the days of RShape and AIGC and twisting the shape knob(s) made a bigger difference.

Thanks Aleksey - I guess the AIGC is helping out more than I thought !

I was getting a good sound out of Elephant last night (especially after reamping into some glowing tubes!) so that's all that counts ! :)

kylen

Just purchased Elephant.  Read the help file, and searched both this forum and cubase.net, but still curious about this:

"The lower the Shape value, the steeper the attack curve, RShape is reversed - the more the RShape value the less steeper the release."

Steeper with respect to... what?  Wild guess: do you mean that the A/R curves are set with respect to the frequency?  So a "sharper" curve would provide faster attack times at higher frequencies (e.g.  10k) and significantly slower attack times below, perhaps, 120Hz?  And the same with RShape?

Excited about the plugin - just trying to understand it as best I can.

Attack/release curves mentioned are interconnected with the limiter's transfer function, they are curves of the internal 'instant' compressor, so to say.  I understand that this is still pretty cryptic, but there's really no way to describe it in more depth.  Probably you should also use the newer EL-2, AIGC-3 and AIGC-4 modes if you find those Shape and RShape controls difficult.

This AIGC-3 and AIGC-4 is new to 2.1, yes?

What are the new features in these two modes?  Are there details behind them?  I could not find any info on the site.  THanks.

Yes, newer AIGC modes are available in the beta 2.1.

Here's the info:

New AIGC-3 and AIGC-4 modes implemented.  They use the same approach as the original AIGC modes 1 and 2, but use limiter technology used in mode EL-2 thus these modes deliver brickwall limiter performance also.

Thanks Aleksey.  I am confused though, because I thought the older AIGC-1 and -2 modes used some sort of different technology, which is why they could not be used with the usual brickwall limiter performance?  I am confused because it seems like a contradiction.  Can you please explain how it works more?  Thanks.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First