Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Elephant Attack and Release ms values

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I am trying to achieve a sound I read about in The Mixing Engineers Handbook (Bobby Owsinski) where the attack is the slowest possible and release is the fastest possible.

I'd like to be able to compare the sound and settings with my other plugs.

Could you give me an idea of the ranges in miliseconds for the 'speed' control.  I assume it adjusts both attack and release.  Also is it a fixed or automatic setting ?

Do the different shapes affect attack and release also ?  Is it possible to say how or is it kind of an extrapolation that changes depending on frequency (or something else)?

This is similiar to an earlier email I sent you but of more general interest so I thought I'd post it out here on the forum in case anyone else wants to know.

I don't need to know this to twist the knobs but thought I might be able to relate the sound to a setting better, expecially when chaning between plugins.

Thank you,

kylen

Release in the Elephant is kind of 'intelligent', it depends on the incoming audio and the attack, shape and rshape settings, so it is impossible to express it in the 'ms' figures.

Attacks vary from 0.5 ms (Max speed setting) to 2.4 ms (Min speed setting), but the actual value also depends on the shape setting.

To sum up, it is impossible to make 'release' run faster than 'attack'.  I think this concept cannot be applied to limiters.

Hi Aleksey,

I wanted to update a couple of comments I made here after trying some things out.

Using a compressor or limiter as described above, slowest attack and fastest release, is a technique used to bypass the 'affect' of a Peak detector if you want to lower the detector's threshold and get further down the crest of the wave to control the average or rms envelope.  I think the technique 'fastest release' should probably be restated as fastest feasible release - in other words a release that sounds good.  As you say in Elephant it's 'intelligent'.

I'm understanding your comment about 'intelligent' release a little better.  I think that you also do some 'intelligent' or automatic gain make-up which is part of the reason Elephant sounds so smooth but is also one of the reasons that there is no specific release value.  It depends on the program material and how long or short of a release and gain makeup Elephant needs to use at any particular instant (or window more likely).

Please feel free correct any mis-statements.  I'm just trying to get my terminology correct here !

Thanks,

kylen

You are right in your statements.  Release varies depending on the 'next after attack' level Elephant's algorithm finds.

BTW, stay tuned for the next Elephant version.  It is fun, but I've found additional approach which will be called AIGC (automatic input gain control).  Its effect is that it does not allow Elephant to go into high distortion while the general 'pumping' feel remains minimal.  I think it is very close to L2's ARC mode while it is also considerably cleaner than ARC.  So, from the next version Elephant can be also used for broadcasting applications.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.