Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Very confused about Elephant's RMS Metering

Hi there... i have been doing extensive demo shootouts between Pro-L, Elephant 3 and Ozone 4 the past days.

In the manual it says to add the rms value to crest to receive peak rms.

So just that I have got this right, as an example, say average rms is -14.0 and max crest is 8.6 i take the max rms is -5.4.. is this correct?  I do this by taking -14 and adding 8.6

But then in Logic metering and Pro L metering (pro l processing is bypassed, only metering is enabled), the max rms (because it displays realtime peak rms in both cases), is around -10.  That's a huge discrepency.  In Ozone 4, it's closer to elephant, but still maybe -1 less.

What's correct, or am i doing it wrong?

Thanks

TTOZ: So just that I have got this right, as an example, say average rms is -14.0 and max crest is 8.6 i take the max rms is -5.4.. is this correct?  I do this by taking -14 and adding 8.6

Yes, this is correct.

TTOZ: What's correct, or am i doing it wrong?

The difference between reading is in peak integration time.  Elephant uses 50ms for peak RMS level estimation (this is quite adequate to my knowledge since ear's early signal power estimation swiftness is around this figure if not faster).

If the integration time is increased the crest factor will decrease.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.