Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Elephant 3 initial impressions

Last

Next

Previous

First

Just bought the upgrade and been comparing it to Elephant 2 and Ozone.

Lots more tweakable options really helps and the EL UNI mode is exactly what I was after.

I wanted something that would retain the snappyness that the likes of Sonnox Limiter and Ozone 3 can achieve and the EL UNI mode delivers.

Much much better, it makes the Elephant 2 sound much more smeared in comparison when applying it to a full on trance mix.

What was even more pleasently surprising was that, when comparing to Ozone 3, the soundstage with the Elephant 3 sounded a lot more solid in relation to the original and the Ozone now sounded rather brittle in comparison (this is when pushed fairly hard mind)

So yes, all in all a fantastic new version.  Eats way more cpu power but that's really a non-issue for me as I process this on the final mixdown.

Would be interesting to see if any other limiter owners (such as Xenon) chimed in and made a comparison.

Thanks for your feedback!

I didn't tried it yet, but the GUI isn't really nice IMO.

Wouldn't it look much better if the "Limiter" section would be on the left?  Also the "Statistics" section looks a bit weird.

But on the other hand - it's the sound that counts ;)

Will upgrade my version next month ...

Btw: Is there Auto blanking for the dither implemented already?  What DC Filter algorithm is used?  No Bessel or Butterworth info in the PDF!?

EDIT.

I have decided not to include auto-blanking mode because the last moment it didn't perform well - maybe I'll add it in the future.  To sum up, it does not work well with noise-shaping enabled.

Well, Soft/Steep is the same as Bessel/Butterworth - it's all just an approximation of these filter models.

ok, thanks!

Yesterday morning I downloaded Elephant 3 and I listened and learned what it is capable of doing.

I spent yesterday afternoon and all day today taking numerous music projects that were mastered in Wavelab 6 using Soniformer and Elephant 2 and I added Elephant 3.  I could switch back and forth to EL2 and EL3.  After comparing them I soon realized the EL3 is sonically superior to EL2.  The implimentation of the various controls gives incredible versality as far as subtle and not so subtle sonic options are concerned.  I find that the algorithm EL UNI (Unified) to be the most transparent I've heard for a mastering limiter.  I used it with "Classic" (for the transient form) and 8x linear-phase oversampling exclusively.  Combined with the controls - Trans Time; Trans Shape; EL Dyn and Release - you can make sonic magic happen.

Render times have doubled (vs.  EL2 at 4x l-p).  I like the new grapical interfaces that is being introduced on all the Voxengo products.  Nice job Vladimir Stolypko (the manual states e is the GUI guy) .

Special thanks Aleksey.  This is an amazing sounding and versatile limiter.

Thanks for your comments!

Aleksey Vaneev: Well, Soft/Steep is the same as Bessel/Butterworth - it's all just an approximation of these filter models.

But all DC filters in Elephant 3 cause pre-ringing, right?

Why does the 6dB filter doesn't come in a "Soft" and "Steep" mode too?

Dandruff: But all DC filters in Elephant 3 cause pre-ringing, right?

No, they are not linear-phase filters.

Dandruff: Why does the 6dB filter doesn't come in a ''Soft'' and ''Steep'' mode too?

Because it simply does not have such option, technically speaking.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First